Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

Assume for a minute you decided to tell your parents about your plans to ditch college and join the circus. The next event you witness should qualify as a conniption fit. A conniption fit is a sudden, violent emotional outburst generally triggered by shocking news or an unexpected turn of events. Unlike a tantrum, which could be triggered with little outside provocation, a conniption fit is often an anticipated response to incredibly bad or disappointing news. A conniption fit is generally characterized by a tirade of strong language accompanied by signs of frustration, rage and/or sadness. Sometimes a person having a conniption fit is reduced to stutters and incomprehensible epithets.

The origins of the term conniption fit are not exactly clear, although many sources place the first known usage around the 1830s. Some theorize the word "conniption" is literally a corruption of the word corruption, which at one time described feelings of anger or sadness. Others believe the word "conniption" was formed as a nonsense word, suggesting a mock Latin origin. There was also an informal English word, canapsha, which had roughly the same meaning as "conniption" at the time. It is even possible that the phrase "conniption fit" arose from the Yiddish language, since Yiddish words like knish are routinely pronounced with both the hard K and N sounds.

Some people use conniption fit interchangeably with other descriptors such as temper tantrum or hissy fit. While each phrase can describe a violent emotional outburst, there are some subtle differences. A temper tantrum can be triggered whenever an emotionally immature person experiences frustration or disappointment. A child who drops an ice cream cone might have a temper tantrum, for example.

A person with a histrionic personality or poor anger management skills might have a hissy fit when faced with disappointment or denial, a response generally seen as immature or inappropriate for the situation. A conniption fit, by comparison, could be triggered whenever an otherwise rational person is confronted with an irrational set of circumstances. Under those conditions, an emotional response may very well be anticipated, although having a conniption fit could be translated as a momentary lapse of reason.

Question: What the hell is this little guy having? [IMG]
    So anyone think he's cute? Muuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Nov 15, 2007

2. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    HAHA! I would definitely say he's having a conniption fit...and it almost seems like he's throwing in a little bit of the Hustle and the Jive in there as well, even though his legs aren't moving!! too cute! :whistle3: ummm....can u add him in the smilies or no?

Nomad
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    hmmmmm - for the moment - It's a secret :shh:

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Nov 15, 2007
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Anyway - still waiting for the secret to become a fruition of sorts....
    But while we wait I think I'll give the definition of "KNISH" ---- A knish (the "k" is pronounced) is an Eastern European snack food popular in Jewish communities.

tehehehehe....

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Dec 1, 2007
  5. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    things that make you go "hmmmmm?" :unsure:
  6. Artistic

Mysty JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    lol Ms J...... I would call him a "Stewed Tomato" ;) Awesome smiley cuz that is how I feel about my dry spell.

*Hugs*

Mysty

Posted By Mysty | Dec 2, 2007

Sally Roberts Forestdawn

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I guess you could say he's having a.. Temper conniption hissy fit.

Some one didn't invite him to the party :(

He's so cute And thanks for sharing all the info. It was very informative.

Blessings
  7. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    just a bit of crazy info lol

ROFL - you know the very 1st time I saw him - I thought he was a Peach LOL
    But his creator says he's a dancing tomato... Anyway -I kind of like him....

LMAO - a temper conniption hissy fit? :wow: Good one lol ---- So about the information - I've been browsing wikipedia and they have some interesting things to say about the source and history of the word "conniption" -- One of which I thought as hilarity is the KNISH word as shown above.

Example:
    "He had a conniption fit when his Mummy wouldn't give him another delicious knish." :fruit:

Tehehehehe

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Dec 2, 2007

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?