Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

?

When I see an error (assuming that the poem is NOT in the Critique Salon) should I:

point it out, (in a nice way, of course)? 3 vote(s) 42.9%
point it out only if it is a glaring error? 1 vote(s) 14.3%
skip commenting on that poem and move on? 0 vote(s) 0.0%
comment only on the good qualities and PM the poet? 3 vote(s) 42.9%
comment only on the good and ignore the errors? 0 vote(s) 0.0%

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sometimes, when reading the poetry posted here, you will see errors, both glaring and/or minor. We are, most of us, amatures and errors do happen.

When I go to post a comment I never know wether or not to say anything about it. I know that when I make an error, I like to have it pointed out to me so that I can edit and learn from my errors.

Some people do not want their errors pointed out. They post only to share an idea or their feelings and feel that if their work gets their point across, it has accomplished it's purpose.

So my question is What should I do when I see an error and the poem is NOT in the critique salon? How do YOU handle this question?

Posted By Altree94 | Jan 15, 2007

Jeez Banned

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Respecting the feelings
    of the writer would seem
    best.

As each puts a lot of
    effort into their works,
    and even though none
    is perfect.

Mistakes are made or
    done while learning and
    just plane writeing.

Who ever we are....

Blasting out the
    obvious on a public
    forum isn't going to
    build somebodys
    willingness to learn.

Or continue with
    that site.... after
    feeling embarassed.

They would much
    rather have a little
    chirp in their ear
    privately.

All spelling mistakes
    can be circled in my
    letter box. LOL.

Posted By Jeez | Jan 15, 2007
  1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Hey TREE - I assume you are asking me... And that's a tough question. Anyway - I'll put it this way... The JPiC Administrator (that would be I :) ) would like to see the focus be on the SHARING within our Community, more so than the technical aspect of the Literary craft... Just my opinion :) But really you have to consider - You have met several people here @ JPiC that you've become familiar with... I think:

1. There's a comfort factor...
    If I don't know you and wanna test the waters by sharing a poem with the Community - the last thing I want for anyone to do is to point out how I mispelled fcuk OR how I misplaced 5 commas in 1 stanza OR how YOU would 1st begin by........ And then proceed to rip apart my poem.

1st thing I'm gonna do is respectfully to tell you to bud out of my poem and my post....
    Believe it or not - this is a HUGE issue for some people. Had a girl cry to me the other day about somebody critiquing her work - when all she wanted to do was share a bit of her poetry - She's no longer a participating Member - And it's sad, as her poetry is really FABULOUS!

2. There's a reason why we at JPiC have the Critique Saloon - It's for indepth critiques.
    There are several poems in the Critique Saloon - I'm sure people would love for you to help them get their piece ready for publication OR just to better their poetry craft...

3. Of course it depends on TACT...
    Just interacting with your fellow poet is one reason for the NECESSITY of JPiC... I've been on poetry forums where people will just tear you apart for the the stray misplaced semi-colon... LIKEWISE - I've been on forums where the only comment you'll get on a poem that you post is:
    Nice! OR WOW! OR Interesting! OR Wow - Nice! OR bablablablablablabla AND etcetera...

THUS the rules thread, which includes a lengthy section about Forum Etiquette...
    http://jpicforum.info/help/jpic-posting-policy

So in short - to answer your question I would say: "Hmmmm, Yes" :)

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 15, 2007
  2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    ALSO.....

Uh - JEEZ - you misspelled writeing :bigbug:
    J/K of course - Excellent commentary - but yeah... It's w-r-i-t-n-g :p

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 15, 2007
  3. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    LOL @ Ms Jacquii------>w-r-i-t-n-g!!!!!

Benny New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As a writer...I want to get better...both at writing my works and in typos...so I appreciate critiques and spelling errors being pointed out to me. Sometimes, I am on here for only a few moments and I try to post something and I will be in such a rush that I cannot catch those spelling errors...but this is only me talking...that is my vote-let me know in your comments if there is something wrong with the work! I'll thank you.

Posted By Benny | Jan 15, 2007

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TY for ALL of the great replies!

Jeez; be prepared for a flood of PMs from me! LOL! Just kidding you, my friend! I usually can't see your typos because of the amazing visuals you put in my mind!!!!!!!!

MsJ; You are quite right, a lot does depend on how well you know the person and how comfortable you feel with them. Tearing down a person's poem or telling them how to write it are obvious BIG NO-NO's. There are times though when a poet is so sensitive that no matter how tactful you are, they will still get upset - even if a glaring error is pointed out in a PM. I am thinking that PMs are still the best way to go - then at least they can just ignore me!

PD - LOOi iii!!!!!iii - HEY! You didn't vote!

Benny!!!!!! YOU, my friend - I have no problem telling where to go and how to get there! LOL! (in the nicest way, of course)!

4. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think Ms Jacquii's response should be the policy.

For me, I do not mind being told, as Mr. Benny has mentioned, helps us grow, and such. I remember my first experience was with AMZY!!!, and I asked him to help me with my short story in the Critique Saloon though. I will never forget his first line, he said REMEMBER YOU ASKED FOR IT! I loved that, and told him, to hit me hard, lol! Another experience was with STORYTIME. We were in the Chatbox, and at that time, we were just getting acquainted, and he read my Haiku, called The Glass Harp.

Hands aged like fine wine
    Strum (originally, I had they word "strums") goblets with moist fingers
    Celestial ice chimes.

He came in the Chatbox, and said, Ummmm Painted. Fingers do not "strums", they strum!l I loved it, however, for some that may be an issue. I do believe a relationship should be comfortable before hammering someone's work, and even to that, it should be done tactfully, and may be discreet as well, regardless of relationship. There is a Critique Forum for such responses if need be, if the poems are in there.

I normally PM the poet, or mention small stuff, if chatting with them in the Chatbox. Some have told me or asked me to do so, in which I do not mind that either. I too, as a Moderator, have had correspondences from members who felt they were uncomfortable (some angry) with their poem being dissected.

I also do no think that because a poem has errors, it does not have good qualities, or is not a good poem. Most, are simple typos, that are a quick to fix, with a few clicks. Some may thrive on being "the one", or LOVE the attention of being known as "the one" to always point out some errors, as if they hold a self-proclaimed title or something. Some may simply point errors out, because, they just do that, that is their make-up as a writer.

I do not nit-pick, and to be honest, I have not really seen anything really big! Most are simple misspellings, typing words like "the" twice, not capitalizing, punctuation, and such, too / to, there / they are kind of stuff. So other than that, I feel that (ONLY FOR ME) that I am trying to change the poet's poem, and it is not mine! I cannot make someone change their feelings, to make their experience read like how "I " want it to read!!! There is the "Critique Saloon" Forum for deep dish (lol) CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

{{~~**Painted**~~}}

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TY PD! You know, when I read comments on my poems I always begin with the assumption that the persons intentions are good and that they truly mean to be helpful. When my errors are pointed out to me, I take that as a compliment because it shows me that that person has really read my poem and has not just skimmed over it. It has taken me a while but I am begining to realize that not everyone views the comments they have gotten in this same way. I think I am going with option #6! LOL! IF I had posted option #6 it would be: Comment on the good qualities, then PM the poet of glaring errors and don't sweat the small stuff! Small stuff = typos, to/too type errors. Glaring = calling a poem a sonnet when it is a sedoka or posting a haiku of 47 syllables.
    Yes, #6 seems the safest route to travel and still allows me to retain my own sense of honesty.

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well....for me......i would appreciate it if I had a typo anywhere...I wouldn't like to be seen as stupid for making a typing mistake xD
    lol.
    but...well, i don't mind in general.
    I like it when people tell me the good and the bad.
    It makes me better.
    and well, i rarely post in the critiquing saloon because sometimes it never gets looked at.
    but for minor errors and such....yeah. I like to be told. :]
  5. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Yeah - KIM and I have been chatting about adding a new Moderator for the CS, as I've been immensely lazy about doing anything for that section.... period....

I'm thinking MS TREE will be perfect for the critique forum - Whatchu think MS MANGO? :)

Jacquii.

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OMG I say Yes yes yes!
    Ms. tree would be AMAZING. :]
  6. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yes Ms Tree would be amazing!!! I think Ms Mango you are pretty amazing as well.

PD :)

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?