Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

[IMG]
    Allen Ginsberg (1926-1997)

Irwin Allen Ginsberg was an American poet and cherished Member of the San Francisco Renaissance. He would later be associated with the Beat Generation in a broader sense; His poetics did center around attacking what he saw as the destructive forces of materialism and conformity in the United States at the time. As a poet, he will probably be remembered most for lengthy masterworks “Kaddish” -- the heartbreaking biography of his mother, Naomi Ginsberg, who spent most of her adult life in a state of mental torment -- and “Howl”. With Howl's famous opening line (“I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness”) - Ginsberg became known and still is known as the subject of interestingly controversial discourse. In fact the publication of “Howl” went to obscenity trial and served as a catalyst in fomenting Ginsberg’s lifelong obsession with First Amendment issues in particular.

In 1954 in San Francisco, Ginsberg met Peter Orlovsky, with whom he fell in love and who remained his life-long lover, and with whom he eventually shared his interest in Tibetan Buddhism. As the leading icon of the Beats, Ginsberg was involved in countless political activities, including protests against the Vietnam War, and he spoke openly about issues that concerned him, such as free speech and gay rights.

Ginsberg went on to publish numerous collections of poetry, including The Fall of America: Poems of These States (1973), which won the National Book Award. In 1993, Ginsberg received the Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres (the Order of Arts and Letters) from the French Minister of Culture. He also co-founded and directed the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at the Naropa Institute in Colorado.

On April 5, 1997, in New York City, he died from complications of hepatitis.

Howl Part 1 by Allen Ginsberg
    Animated by markmm1953

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Apr 27, 2008

2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Tribute.

Such truth, demand-ripped from the bowels
    of America. She who dawns beauty draped in silver-
    stars, stripes of blood pooling at the southern
    border that's freshly lit with freshly rolled maryjane
    thangs. Such insane freedom; she gleans gaiety
    and who are we to mock her? Poets.

Yay - that she may never go down,
    for her torch might signify Ginsberg's pen.

Happy National Poetry Month! [imga=middle]http://www.smileycons.com/img/froggies/thank_you.gif[/imga]

3. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    :wow: I never heard of this American Poet before. Ya know, reading these bios are just sensational...I am learning and getting more and more inspired! Also, lets me view what other poetry was before me, and in front of me....outside of my box, if you will. The Supermarket and Autumn Leaves is outstanding. Selection from America...still has me going...wow. It is an honor to read the poetic lives of many whom we have built a foundation upon. Great great post Ms Jacquii!

Kim :)
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    You hadn't heard of Ginsberg? o_O - He's the scandal of the Poetry world LOL - And I tell ya - it WAS A TREAT researching this o-so talented and creative genius - I like his style because of how abstract and how "out-there" it is - It takes a certain amount of personal truth to be on a Ginsberg type of level LOL - More like a truthful personal insight is a better wording... I tell ya - I found some very very interesting stuff online about Ginsberg - least of all his poetry.... Just do a google image search :LOL: --- Wildly creative stuff... And probably rated "MA" for Mature Audience muuuuuuuaaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

Jacquii.

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?