Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Intricate soul intricate soul

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok I haven't cooked this in a bit, but hey, I'm a good cook trust me (he-he)

Baigan Choka
    Ingredients:
    1 or 2 Baigans (eggplant if that's what you know)
    4-8 grains of garlic
    1 tsp vegetable or olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste ( we like well seasoned/spicy foods in Trinidad and Tobago)

Method: clean garlic of the skin and crush slightly that it may break into 2-3 pieces, cut 4-6 slits at different intervals in the baigan, inserting the pieces of garlic into these slits. Light firetop of stove (or fireside is great too) and roast baigan over the slow open fire, turning at periods to properly cook it. The skin of the baigan will singe, but that helps with the flavour (like bar-b-que), Stick with fork or knife to determine when the baigan is ready, it should be soft as this vegetable retains alot of water-IT SHOULD NOT BE DRIED OUT! Using a knife and fork peel away the burnt skin and discard, the garlic may or maynot be left in at your discression, add 1 tsp vegetable or olive oil,salt and pepper to taste mix well in a crushing motion until ingrediants are well mixed in. Served best with sada roti, bread or crackers can be substituted also.

This is my method, hasn't failed me yet:yeahbaby:, but just in case, details on how to make sada roti are below ( you can put anything in it; goes with all things)

Sada Roti

Ingredients:
    1 lb flour
    4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 pint water
    1/2 tsp vegetable oil
    pinch of salt
    Method:
    Use large mixing bowl and sift flour into it, together with the salt and the baking powder- mix well. Knead flour mix with water into a soft , smooth dough. Pour oil into the palms of your hand and rub over dough - rest dough for 15 mins. Devode dough into 4 equal parts and shape into balls - rest another 15 mins. Heat tawah on medium fire. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a disk, about 1/4 " thick, making the edges thin. Put on tawah to cook sada roti- turn roti on both sides, using pot holders ( the mitten type). Toast edges of roti over fire to make sure they are cooked. Keep turning roti until brown on each side. Serve with choka and/or any curried dish

:topofthemornin::bye:

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?