Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

shawnie New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jac, I think you may know about this and can tell me if it is accurate or not. Basically, I received an e-mail stating that Bush put in an amendment to No Child Left Behind which states that if high schoolers don't pass certain courses by they time they finish 12th grade they can do 1 of 2 things.

1. Go to a GED program after school is over.
    2. Get a Certificate of Completion. This isn't a diploma and if the student chooses this option then they will not be able to get a GED, go to college, vocational school, etc. EVER.

Have you heard anything about this?

Posted By shawnie | Jun 23, 2006

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Hey SHAWNIE - I did a GOOGLE SEARCH because I haven't heard of a certificate of completion... What I saw didn't seem very promising at all... I'm not sure where you heard that stuff about PREZ endorsing such a thing, but if that's the case I think he may very well just have sank the ship-o-education...

Well - not particularly sank - more like swamp :lol: But seriously - this is kinda disturbing to think that "EVER" would like even be part of the equation. I'm sure you already know - I myself have a General Education Degree...

But anyway - were is a link to the story so I can check it out myself!

Thanx,

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jun 24, 2006

shawnie New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jac,

After I posted this I found something about it on Snopes. com. Turns out that "supposedly" the president didn't slip anything into No Child Left Behind. It talked about what the certificate of completion was. It said that it doesn't mean a person can NEVER join the military etc. It simply states that the certificate lets persons know that you have completed required classes to graduate but did not score high enough on exit exams to receive the diploma. Basically it says that you are still in high school, which means that there are some trade schools that won't accept you and colleges and universities can't accept you. BUT you can still go back and get your diploma or sign up for a GED program.

I read that a couple days ago and I hope that I remembered correctly.

Posted By shawnie | Jun 26, 2006
  2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Well that sounds a lot better... When I looked it up on google all I found was how to print the Certificate of Completion out on your computer's printer... I was astounded actually - I was like: Please tell me this ain't real LOL - But anyway... Glad to know the Prez actually does care about education and the system of education for all = knowledge for most, etc.

Thanx for posting that info SHAWNIE!

JAcquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jun 26, 2006

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?