Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Discussion in 'The Rant Room' started by v3sista, Nov 27, 2006.

v3sista U Know Me

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When we talk about the right to choose, the first thing that comes to mind is “Abortions”. However, choices go much further than that. What happens when your choice differs w/ a close friend or relatives? What if it crosses the line of religion or ethics? How do we deal w/ our choices then?
    Let me give two examples, to contemplate on. Abortions, there is the side of “Pro Choice” and “Pro Life”, then we add in what the bible teaches us. Regardless of which stand we take, we can not walk in the shoes of the women who decide either way. Should we be less tolerant of the woman who decides not to keep her child, due to our bible beliefs or cause we do not agree?
    Now, let’s talk about Gays/Lesbians, and again what the bible teaches us. Fact is, it exists, and we live around someone who knows a couple. Should we be hateful, or less tolerant simply because we, ourselves do not agree? The bible also teaches to love our neighbor, as thyself- there was no break down.
    So my question again, is- We have the liberty to make choices, but do we have the right to judge, ill treat, or be intolerant of those whose choices we don’t agree? Can we simply AGREE to DISAGREE and move on w/ out strife? :angel-wings:

Posted By v3sista | Nov 27, 2006

Benny New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Bible teaches it's followers straightforward they cannot judge...unfortunately, many choose to judge. They are wrong, plain and simple when they do. This was in answer to the Christian side of the matter.

As humans who find ourselves caught up in the passion of what we choose to believe, we inadvertantly judge also. It is a human trait. Things we do not have a passionate feeling toward simply fall on the back burner of our busy lives and we do not participate in those.

You are correct about choice being a deeper issue than people wish to believe. Good questions.

Posted By Benny | Nov 27, 2006
  1. Depressed

butchiesmom JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    We have no right to judge and people have the right to live their lives as they see fit.
    Life's too short to worry about their sexuality when I'm not getting...anyway, I thoroughly agree with you. V.
    Great job,
    Gail
  2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    hmmm - I like to think the Bible is full of parabols and stories and poems, as well as wisdoms - With that said - I think the only book of TRUTH lies in the essense Revelations....

Jesus (if you happen to be Christian and a believer) taught ONLY ONE message really = LOVE!

So when we look at "gay marriage" - I tend to think - who the hell are these hypocritical bible-thumpers to tell me who I can and cannot marry? I'd like to think that that's why we as the United States Of America have what is called "Seperation between church and state..." unfortunately - It seems to be a fraud....

At anyrate - It is said in the bible that there is only 1 who shall be the final judge... Shall we let Revelations happen OR seek to thwart the premise of it?

Now THAT's a choice :)

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Nov 27, 2006
  3. Depressed

butchiesmom JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Well said!

Nikos Tselepides New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    V3,

Regardless of the Bible, we agree or disagree with other's attitudes or deeds but never impose our views on the others--that is fascism. When others attitudes are dangerous to us or the society, the law steps in and they go to court and are penalized or put away. God cannot help when one robs a bank or shoots you. The Law can.
    Your questions are not religious, they are real, about a real society. Religion and reality have nothing to do with each other.

v3sista U Know Me

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nikos-
    Interesting in deed, I had never looked at it from this perspective- I could agree w/ the ending statement.

Thanks!

Veloria- lol!!!!

Posted By v3sista | Dec 11, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey V!
    I'm really not too up on the Christian Bible - I prefer trying to follow the traditional Mohawk way. We too, were given 10 commandments but ours are all DO's instead of Thou Shalt Not's. The third commandment translates to: Show respect to ALL of your fellow beings. That pretty much cancels out being judgemental - at least for me!
    Good thread you've started here, V! TY!

Posted By Altree94 | Jan 2, 2007

Benny New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    One's reality is another's folly...well proven. And, visa verse, has proven itself as well. All that we think we know will come to a point it will be revealed and proven period...closed minds are the only truly dangerous things and they unfortunately cause the premis of this thread...

Posted By Benny | Jan 9, 2007

v3sista U Know Me

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :thanx2: Everyone 4 the Contributing Dialect, it was nice to see the participation. Funny thing, even w/ the many different cultures and beliefs, still a common agreement seemed 2 emerge. :yayjpic: :bravo:
    We have some sense about ourselves! :thumbsup:

V3

Posted By v3sista | Jan 19, 2007

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok...well, this might be late...

but i've been reading a book called
    "What's so Amazing About Grace" by Phillip Yancy.

If you wanna read about real-life issues and ways to treat gays and abortion...it's a book to read.

basically, well, the book, and I think that well, we should still have grace.
    The author showed a great example. He had a like a christian preacher friend who finally came out late in life telling that he was gay.
    well, the author doesn't believe that being gay is the right thing, as the bible does talk about people of the same sex going to hell, but he was still a kind and comforting and was still a great friend to his gay friend.

basically, you can still love a person but be against their views. don't encourage what they do, like go to the wedding of maybe a gay couple, but don't condemn them.

it's all about grace.

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?