Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

?

"Blood is thicker than water." Agree OR Disagree?

Agree 4 vote(s) 36.4%
Disagree 5 vote(s) 45.5%
Not Saying 1 vote(s) 9.1%
Who Cares? 1 vote(s) 9.1%
  1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

OK - I'm sure most of us have heard the saying ----> "Blood is thicker than water." What I've always understood this to mean is - that will "friends" (water) is important... On just cannot do without "family"

Meaning "family" is more important than "friends"

Topic of Discussion:
    What does the saying mean to you AND do you agree OR disagree with it?

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Dec 1, 2006

Sally Roberts Forestdawn

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I used to believe that blood was thicker than water, and felt that "family" was more important than friends until.......

My mom died and the whole entire family fell apart. Those I thought were loyal and forgiving was talking ill of the dead, and destoying what the word "family" meant.

So now I say drink the water and keep your friends close, because "family" can and will, sometimes destroy the good in what used to be, those who once were good have now became unexceptable defunctional people.

Blessed be
    Sally

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While family is extremely important to me, I have some blood relatives that I hardly know and many friends whom I love because I know them better and they are far kinder toward me than some of my blood relatives are.

Also - Parents do love adopted children just as much as if they had been blood related.

So I had to digagree. I do not believe that "Blood is thicker than water".

Posted By Altree94 | Dec 5, 2006

~Serenity~ ~Pixie Princess~

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NO way! Blood thicker than water? I have to wonder who came up with that...

I chose my own family, based on love not on blood. But I love them all so much! Also, my friends are closer to me, and far more important, than a lot of my blood relatives. They're basically an extension of my family. In the end, in the case of blood versus water, you gotta remember that in the long run - blood can turn some funny colours.

Posted By ~Serenity~ | Dec 5, 2006

Amzy A friend, Well met.

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought this meant it was easier to make a person bleed to death than to drown them. But let's use your interpretation.

It's true, friends can stop being friends, but family will always be family. Even if you dislike or disown them, they ARE family. Family ties have a way of transcending petty spats that can tear a friendship apart. Friends are fickle, family is forever. Like it or not.

Now, in a more realistic sense...the viscosity of blood changes based on the plasma count and red blood cell count, and overall hydration level of the host. Blood is generally 3-4 times the viscosity of water.

Posted By Amzy | Dec 5, 2006
  2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    NOone's talking about the viscosity of water :rolleyes:

Jacquii.

ps - nice comments YAWL

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Dec 6, 2006

zaac Banned

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i love my family provided they are all at least a thousand miles from my front door.

Posted By zaac | Dec 8, 2006

Benny New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I loved reading the responses to this question!
    I have found, as Amzy has said, that family will always BE family...reguardless. There are ties there that are just ingrained, whether or not we choose to keep them alive. I also have had family turn on each other and devour. One hardly can call that moment where blood is thicker than water...hardly. Yet, as in all other relationships, everyone can move on and put it behind them. Problem is, at base, we are human creatures with feelings that unfortunatly are often used to choose to break ties...with family or friends. This blood thicker than water thing can be found to be true in many families...and in many...not. So, for me...I choose love over blood or water. It heals when allowed to. Blood is just a connection that you cannot break, no matter how hard you try...unless you cut yourself and empty all your blood in your veins and die that way...even then, did not work.
    No, blood is not thicker than water...love is and always will be the deciding factor in relationships...period.

Posted By Benny | Dec 28, 2006

jasmine321123 New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well for me it would have to be family(blood) rather then water(friends) but i have to consider also about family's that just dont get along and there is a lot of turmoil in the family and friends tend to do more rather then the family members to help that person out.
  3. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Blood is thicker than water means that when you're at the end of your rope, family will always be there, no matter what...just because they are family...even if they don't feel like it...it's like a built in obligation to do the right thing.

I think it depends, though, on the upbringing that they've had, and if they've seen the action duplicated. I, on the other hand, treat my friends as if they were family, so when it comes right down to the grindstone, there really isn't a difference. If I were to need....then my first help to call upon would be to family because that I know would be no questions asked...even if I hadn't spoken to them for a year or two...it would make no difference, and vice versa.

Therese

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?