Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Discussion in 'Movies & Film' started by MsJacquiiC, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

[imga=right]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3473/dreamgirlsgy5.jpg[/imga]
    • Tagline:
    • Fame Comes And Goes, Stars Rise And Fall, But Dreams Live Forever more

• Plot Outline:
      Based on the 1981 Broadway musical comes Dreamgirls, a story of greed, tough hate, and romance. Three young women - Deena Jones, Effie White, and Lorrell Robinson - desire to become pop stars and get their wish when they're picked to be backup singers for the legendary James "Thunder" Early. Then they're set free for leads, but Curtis Taylor and Effie's brother C.C. decide for Deena to be lead which upsets Effie.

• Awards:
      Won 2 Oscars. Another 38 wins & 48 nominations

• All Star Cast:
      • Jamie Foxx (Curtis Taylor, Jr.)
      • Beyoncé Knowles (Deena Jones)
      • Eddie Murphy (James "Thunder" Early)
      • Danny Glover (Marty Madison)
      • Jennifer Hudson (Effie White)
      • Anika Noni Rose (Lorrell Robinson)

[imga=left]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7425/dreamgirls1xp8.jpg[/imga]Many of you have probably already seen this movie - But over the weekend I had the pleasure of viewing Dreamgirls for the 1st time! One word I can use to describe this film, and totally be happy in my assessment, without even batting an eyelash: PHENOMENAL! The cast is just brilliantly selected with each member really backing each other up lovely and filling their parts to perfection. The music................ WOW! Be prepared to be blown away!

Beyonce sings - of course her voice has been brilliant since the beginning days of Destiny's Child! I wouldn't have expected much from her --- especially after seeing the Austin Powers spoofs --- but she really does carry her own weight in Dreamgirls - Her roll as Deena Jones was well played and a thrill to watch. Then there's her beauty - which is a topic in its own right...

Moving on... Never imagined Eddie Murphy would put on a good singing show - but his voice is really nice - It's really "matured" since his early record flop days - He adds an interesting spice in his roll as Early. Continuing on to Jamie Foxx --- Of course we know he has singing SKILLZ - especially after seeing his roll in the Ray Charles movie. His acting skills have always been graceful - even when he's making you piss your pants laughing... He plays the Taylor roll to eery perfection - But one must have the quintessential "bad-guy" roll in a film of Dreamgirl stature... And where would the rags-to-riches story be without his turn in Curtis Taylor's shoes?

One who continues to amaze throughout the entire film is Jennifer Hudson in her roll as Effie - Gosh - WHAT A VOICE! She was simply stunning - When she sings "And I Am Telling You..." she brings the house down - I started weeping; her performance is stunningly real.

Not enough good things to say about this film - 5-star rating for sure! The warddrobe was off the chain crazy --- Such beautiful gowns and seer sucker suits and the shoes... Oh my god: the shoes! --- The sets were also spectacular! Not enough good things I can really say about this film - but If Hollywood bigwigs continue to make musicals like this one and bring them to film - Hollywood will see a revival of sorts unseen in the cinema industry in a long long time!

Dreamgirls: Highly recommended!

Jacquii.

Beyonce singing "Listen"
    [YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yMq92PDEKP4[/YOUTUBE]

[IMG]

Available At Amazon.com:
    <iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=jpicforumforw-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000JLQQ2G&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe> <iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=jpicforumforw-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000O174CM&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jun 25, 2007

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really want to watch this...I've heard it's way better than the musical too ;]
  2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Never seen the musical - but the movie is SPECTACULAR
    I highly recommend it!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jul 11, 2007

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?