Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

Judge: Same-Sex Couples Can Wed in Iowa

[imga=left]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/710/gaymarriagewn7.jpg[/imga]Aug 30, 11:05 PM (ET)
    By DAVID PITT

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A county judge struck down Iowa's decade-old gay marriage ban as unconstitutional Thursday and ordered local officials to process marriage licenses for six gay couples.

Gay couples from anywhere in Iowa could apply for a marriage license from Polk County under Judge Robert Hanson's ruling.

Less than two hours after word of the ruling was publicized, two Des Moines men applied for a license, the first time the county had accepted a same-sex application. The approval process takes three days.

Gary Allen Seronko, 51, was listed as the groom on the form and David Curtis Rethmeier, 29, the bride.

"I started to cry because we so badly want to be able to be protected if something happens to one of us," Rethmeier said.

Deputy Recorder Trish Umthun said she took five calls from gay couples after the judge filed his ruling Thursday afternoon and expected a rush of applications Friday.

County attorney John Sarcone said the county will appeal to the Iowa Supreme Court and immediately sought a stay from Hanson that would prevent gay couples from seeking a marriage license until the appeal is resolved. The Supreme Court could refer the case to the Iowa Court of Appeals, consider the case itself or decide not to hear it.

A hearing is likely to be held on the stay motion next week, said Camilla Taylor, an attorney with Lambda Legal, a New York-based gay rights organization.

House Minority Leader Christopher Rants, R-Sioux City, said the ruling illustrates the need for a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

"I can't believe this is happening in Iowa," he said. "I guarantee you there will be a vote on this issue come January," when the Legislature convenes.

Massachusetts is the only state where gay marriage is legal, though nine other states have approved spousal rights in some form for same-sex couples. Nearly all states have defined marriage as being solely between a man and a woman, and 27 states have such wording in their constitutions, according the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Dennis Johnson, the lawyer for the six gay couples who sued in 2005 after they were denied marriage licenses, had argued that Iowa has a long history of aggressively protecting civil rights in cases of race and gender. He said the Defense of Marriage Act, which the Legislature passed in 1998, contradicts previous rulings regarding civil rights.

Roger J. Kuhle, an assistant Polk County attorney, argued that the issue is not for a judge to decide.

Hanson ruled that the state law allowing marriage only between a man and a woman violates the constitutional rights of due process and equal protection.

"Couples, such as plaintiffs, who are otherwise qualified to marry one another may not be denied licenses to marry or certificates of marriage or in any other way prevented from entering into a civil marriage ... by reason of the fact that both person comprising such a couple are of the same sex," he said.

Associated Press writer Henry C. Jackson contributed to this report.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 31, 2007

2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    I for one am happy about this decision - what took so damn long? Seems equality is at the forefront here AND who the hell thinks they have the right to sanction LOVE?

At anyrate - I've supported the right for gay, lesbians, bisexuals & transgender people to marry since even before it became a "loud" issue.

Anyone else interested in signing a petition for equal marriage rights for all American citizens? Click the button pic below OR simply fill out the form!

Jacquii.

[IFRAME]http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/campaign/millionformarriageac[/IFRAME]

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 31, 2007

KingAce JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think this is great honestly I have a good amount of friends who are gay, bi or lesbian and would love the opportunity to take there relationships to this level and the fact that some states aren't tryna bring religion or some sort of bullshit reason not to do this in is fantastic in my eyes I just hope it doesn't end here...

Posted By KingAce | Sep 23, 2007

JolieH JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can't see that it makes a difference. If two people love each other enough and want to share the comitments marriage offers, I think it should be their choice. Although, after a few divorce court cases, they may wish otherwise.
    Can't wait to watch gay divorce court on the tele. Should be real funny.
    It does open doors to some social conflict especially where children are concerned, but I'm sure the system will work through them.
    Personally, I think that Civil Union is a better term than marriage, reason being, the definition of marriage in the dictionary includes: a union between man and woman. Not to push some hard nosed conservatives and religious fundamentalists further than necessary. Rather than change the definition of marriage, create a new word. I believe compromise should be considered here.

Posted By JolieH | Sep 26, 2007
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Hmmm - I don't think compromise is the answer at all - That would be like saying "well we want to offer you the same rights that marriage offers - but we think it would be best to call it UGH as not to upset main stream America - but in essense to make your union/relationship a farce and not as important a union to deserve the very name "marriage"...

Anyway - It always behooves me to think that main stream "Christian" conservatives are always lending the voice of "God Hates Fags" --- but then at the same time purport to support the teachings of Christ --- which btw is all about love really...

At anyrate - I believe there will be a time when equality and acceptance of each others diversity will be the law of the land! I think allowing equal opportunity to love is a huge 1st step!

Thanx JOLIE AND KING for responding - I hope YAWL signed the petition :D

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Sep 26, 2007

KingAce JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah I signed the petition, didn't even think about it twice...

Posted By KingAce | Sep 26, 2007
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Nice!

Jacquii.

JolieH JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I signed the petition also.
    The reason Ms Jacquii, I think they should use a different word than marriage is marriage has sacred roots. It's used in biblical texts. If the definition of the word marriage has to be changed, this will change the translation of bible readings. It just goes to deep. I think gay marriage is a grand step toward humanity. We don't call the female gay woman - It wouldn't make sense. It would seem silly to argue that they want to be called woman because they are the same. I don't think there should be any arguement here.

Posted By JolieH | Sep 26, 2007
  5. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    But there IS argument (IMO anyway and apparently the opinions of the entire Republican party and even a lot of those who purportedly worship in the name of Jesus and hate by the same name --- fyi I voted for President Bush in the last election....)

Christian text tells of a God who is a loving One - but in the same breath, speaks of Revelations and of God as a vengeful and jealous One... Only thing is - there's only one message that Jesus ever really taught and even in biblicals text - You can spell it as a dreaded 4-letter word: L-O-V-E

Biblical text can always be "interpreted" in so many ways - It's the nature of the beast LOL - but there is ONE thing that cannot be misinterpreted and that is Christ-love for ALL of humanity...

Not to be argumentative (though I am quite a bytch tonite...) But you say "If the definition of the word marriage has to be changed, this will change the translation of bible readings." My opinion is that there would not even BE a change of the word marriage! Inclusivity is key here! And for those who have misinterpreted the word marriage to EXCLUDE those who TRULY love is not only wrong, but anti-Christian!

And I know many may disagree, but then again perhaps they don't know Christ as I do --- Son of man is not a cliche at all...

At anyrate - not to get up on the :soapbox: --- or more accurately: stepping off of the soap box - I'm glad you signed the petition ;)

Jacquii.

JolieH JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yep,
    I just want to try to keep everyone happy, as little conflict as possible, a smooth transition. I'm sure God doesn't mind, but why set the candle under the camels ass, when you can hold it in front of him. LOL - I don't know if that works, but you know what I'm saying.

Posted By JolieH | Sep 27, 2007
  6. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Because it's fun to see the camel squirm :LOL:
    Anyway - yeah - I can appreciate your diplomacy! AND again - Thanx for signing the petition - it's a really important issue to me, as you can very well tell - AND no - I'm not a lesbian :ROFLMAO:

Jacquii.

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?