Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

michael JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0

This One is for my sister Jamila Abdul-Khaliq Ishmael. Let's just say we it took more seriously than the rest of our sister's and brother. This whole conversion thing.
    Also in honor of my mom Niama Abdul-Khaliq Ishmael aka Shirley Page. {1938-2002}
    Who told me that eatin pork
    wont kill you. And that she had gone back to church. Also a seamstress extrodinare makin stuff for a hole community of people then and the raiser of six kids....Buy herself she said!
    and who on the night before her surgery... told me she was ready.
    Kinda like being ready come hell or high water... In the back of my mind I'm like ready for what?
    where you think you goin cuss I wasn't ready.
    And so nobody will get this kinda twisted this is not a knock on anybody's faith. This just speaks to my own personal experience
    with my mom converting from Christianity to Islam back in the day. I really was not sure how to end this one and I'm sure it could use some revisions.

And dat lunch meat was good... MAN you know that shit was HAM
    but we stopped eatin pork and gettin stuff for christmas
    and my grandmother said hell no she will never go for the idea of
    dem kids being raised up like dat

how cool I thought to be made aware of both theology\ideology
    anyway mommy was making the hell out of dem dashikies
    so talented so creative so Abdul-Khaliq/The Creative

but we stopped eatin pork and gettin stuff for christmas
    and seemed to be on an island unto ourself with no real wealth
    but rich in spirit

and I was so proud yet so scared I think because of the stare's and
    you know they thought that we were mad when mommy told
    our teacher's we don't salute the flag no more.

so do you think the difference between christianity and Islam is spice ham?
    but their were addicitons and some lack of religous convictions going on too
    we believed that we were better than the christians and just not as forgiving

a lot of division

like being on an Island unto ourself with no real wealth but rich in spirit
    not like school division... which was easy at first
    more like missin school with all the
    asthma. allergies. bullies, my teacher's told mommy I was learning s l o w and missin school
    missin out on all dem golden rule's

and it was like the 60s then and assimilation frustration was on and poppin through
    the nation.

mommy was making the hell out of them dashikies and their were jive time turkey's
    and I seemed to take this division so personally inner visions of them against me

So now Jamila I'm learning to trust god. In god I trust..And yo It felt like being on and

island

unto ourself with no real wealth but dam we rich inspirit.

Posted By michael | Nov 2, 2006

erikestabrook JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    cool poem it uniqueness captivates

michael JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    e

Thanks for your comments. Talking about my family or family history would be a book of poetry really. After awhile I just wanted to get this one over with lol...anyway thanks again.

Posted By michael | Nov 4, 2006

erikestabrook JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Michael if you ever chose that route a book of yours would be well worth the readers eyes, what you bring in poetry is a gritty reality and phrasing that's unmatched,

anytime someone writes about their family its usually someone out to throw away their past and spit on people they knew I'm glad you haven't gone to the poetry dark-side as most do for a cheap writing thrill

Patricia_Lynn Patricia_lynn

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice piece Michael

I had to read it a few times to comprehend its meaning, not sure I fully understand it still. Everyone has their own beliefs. I don't believe in dark or light poetry, poetry is poetry. I believe that meaningful poems come from the heart, no matter the message be black or white...or both. Keep in mind, I don't write poems, but long stories, so don't take anything I write here wrong. Please.
    I see a sadness, faith, happiness and faith in this poem...am I wrong?Grrrrrrr, if this was a novel, I could jump on and run...

I see a spirit as a kind of faith.
    When you feel low, and life seems to move slowly along, your spirit is crying out for help, you need a good friend to give you back some faith and bring you home. But when everything is going just perfect all-day long, and you feel like you could fly, remember to bring someone in need of faith and let their spirit soar along

Not sure what one might call this :) I like your poem Michael

michael JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Patrica

Thanks so much for your comments. I asked you for the feedback because I wanted to know how this was coming across. Not as clear as I would like. I'm still learning what works and what does not. I started out wanting to just do a piece on our conversion from Christianity to Islam when we were kids. And maybe dedicate it to my sister. Then I wanted to include my mom. I felt that no way could I leave her out. She really was an amazing woman. But anyway that was the motivation. Just to talk about what it felt like growing up with having as Islam as your religion or way of life. All the while living in an Predominatly Christian country. And with all of my mother and father's people being christian also...(like being on an island unto oneself) How it gave me a different perspective on religion and religious beliefs. But my goal is to just be clear in my writing/poetry. Do I see sadness, faith, happiness in this? Yes. Maybe I had to many things going on here. I'm really just getting started.

thanks again for taking the time to comment.
    and this piece just speaks to my on personal experience which alot of my pieces have been based on also. I look foward to reading more of your stuff.

Posted By michael | Nov 8, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Michael, this was an awesome write! It is so hard to be a kid and in school and to be "different". I was the only Native kid in my classes so I can kind of understand what you went through. "No real wealth but rich in spirit"! Now THAT is a phrase I can really relate to! TY for posting this for us!

Posted By Altree94 | Nov 30, 2006
  1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    AWESOME WRITE Michael ;) -----> This poem is definitely spoken-word GORGEOUS - I can actually hear such an interpretation of this poem. Kinda reminds me of a laid back Langston Hughes number with Semple :yes:

I could feel the tempo dude - It's upbeat - quick - pulsating - but more importantly captivating! You've cultivated a beautiful spoken word piece here:

I especially like how the lines seem to "agree" with the way I'd hear this piece spoken... It's like the line length (including pauses: asthma. allergies. and then how you wrote s l o w) You could really feel the rhythm of this piece nicely

Kinda like invision Queen Sheba performing this one.

I like it - Very much actually - I'd like to do a recording of this one, as I am really feeling the vybe of this poem!

Nice share!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 15, 2007
  2. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Michael...like Ms. J I definitely can feel the beat...it was so ALIVE...I could hear it! I found it to be both humorous and sad...from a child's point of view where changes are confusing.

"but we stopped eatin pork and gettin stuff for christmas
    and seemed to be on an island unto ourself.. "

Wonderfully written - definitely a spoken word poem...great charisma!

Nomad :fan1:

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?