Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Note: the pic is of my mom and aunt. Mom is the one standing. She just had her 80th birthday. Aunt Mary passed away 8 months ago. Ihstenha is the Mohawk word we use for Mother. It also means Aunt. Literally, it does not mean either aunt or mother, it means: She-who-guides-me.

Ihstenha (Mother)

Born in 1926,
    married in '42,
    raised 10 children then left widowed,
    what more was she to do?

Well she went back for schooling,
    (she'd only had grade 2)
    and at the young age of 60,
    was learning something new.

She learned the ways of teaching,
    it seemed important to,
    for she held our Native language,
    to give to me and you.

Now at 80 years of age,
    her dancing days are through,
    still teaching and making music,
    though slower now, it's true.

Yet still a zest for living,
    undaunted by the view,
    as she looks back and remembers,
    the things that she lived through.

This poem is for you, Mom,
    to show my love and pride,
    for all you've done and yet will do.
    Mother, teacher and guide.

Attached Files:

Posted By Altree94 | Nov 19, 2006

Amzy A friend, Well met.

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very good, Tree. Now print this on card stock and give it to her! Sometimes I wonder about that zest...

Posted By Amzy | Nov 19, 2006

Jeez Banned

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wonderful words to give
    to your mother, as each
    of them are our teachers
    our guides and us before
    as our daughters will be
    us after.

Thanks for the read.

Posted By Jeez | Nov 20, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TY Amzy & Jeez!
    Wow, you guys are fast! I only just now posted this!
    BTW - I did give this to Mom and she really liked it except for the line - "her dancing days are through". She said I lied and danced her walker across the room to prove it!
    I guess I should have said "step-dancing"!

Posted By Altree94 | Nov 20, 2006
  1. Angelic

stardust JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    HI, MY SWEET AND DEAR TREE!! WOW!! I just can´t believe that, I have spoken to you for almost an hour or so in the Chat Room. It was almost Midnight here, in this corner of the world. We have different Time Zones. You mentioned about your poem and the picture of your mom. So, here I am, reading and looking at this wonderful picture of your mom. She looks so pretty and healthy!! You are SO BLESSED TO HAVE A MOTHER!! I am Not that Lucky!!...My mother was murdered in this Country of South America, in January 1986, over 20 years ago. I was in New York at that time. I was not able to save her, since she was alone. Then, I became an ACTIVIST FOR THE HUMAN RIGHTS, afterwards...She lost her dear life in the hands of butchers, who pretended to be doctors. They made medical malpractice on her, and she died in a Private Clinic after a simple routine check-up. Shortly before that, my mom and I were making plans to see each other again in the following days. She was OK. and so Happy to see me again!! I had already bought my plane ticket. But, I came here for her Funeral instead of enjoying her dear life with me. She was indeed, too young to die. My mom was only 60 years old. I was 32 back then. My heart was broken into million pieces, and that event changed my life forever. I am a much different woman than the way I used to be...You are so blessed to have your dear mom with you. Take good care of her, sweetheart!! Say Hi from me to her!! You see, I am an Activist for the Human Rights and the Animals´Rights, including the Environment. I would rather die, before I give up my fighting for the RIGHTS TO LIVE A BETTER LIFE...God Bless You, Tree!! God Bless your mother!! I love this poem, all your poems, the poet and the picture. Thank you for sharing this treasure of yours with me!! Hugs and Love, from Stardust.:kiss2:

Posted By stardust | Nov 27, 2006
  2. Angelic

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tree!! I forgot to tell you one more thing...My father passed away in 1989 at the age of 73. He needed a Heart Transplant, since he had a Heart Failure long before he died. I have no brothers and no sisters, no siblings. My parents had only me, their only child. I had only one daughter myself. I have 2grandchildren. They all live in New York. So, my family is really small. I have my hubby, my animals and my heart full of dreams. God Bless You, Tree!! Hugs and Love, from Stardust.:kiss2:

Posted By stardust | Nov 27, 2006
  3. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    I was gonna be cynical.... but I won't....
    ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL POEM and tribute.

Allow me to be cynical for just one moment.... The highlighted quoted above... MS TREE, can you imagine the beauty when such royally beautifulness is unleashed? ---- I can & I think it would have similar effect that your poem has had on me.... Hate to toot my own horn - but truly = Good thing!

Thanx for sharing this piece with us!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Nov 28, 2006

Benny New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    no one does what a mother can do inside the heart of their children...no one. What a beautiful woman she is and you have become. See, there is hope in this world after all....

Posted By Benny | Nov 28, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TY, Starry, MsJ & Benny!
    When I think of all of the changes my mom has seen in her lifetime, and how she adjusted to them, I can't help but realize just what an amazing woman she is. She is such a tiny lady but she is going to leave behind an awful large pair of moccasins to fill!

Posted By Altree94 | Nov 28, 2006
  4. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Dear Ms Tree,

How beautiful. The poem and the words painted are simply lovely. Your Mother and Aunt are simply beautiful. From what you have said about your Mother, I see how her seed blossomed into one beautiful (inside & out) flower...YOU. We are blessed to have you cross our path. Thank you for sharing the poem and the picture.

PD

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TY, PD! Funny you should say that. In Mohawk, my name is Otsi:tsia (sounds like Oh Jee Jaw) and actually means "little flower". In Arabic, I am Midjnoona - crazy one. LOL! much more suitable, I think!

Posted By Altree94 | Nov 28, 2006
  5. Angelic

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tree!! You said that your name was Tree.:yeahbaby:

Posted By stardust | Nov 29, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL! Otsitsia is my MOHAWK name - Tree is my ENGLISH name!
    Also - there are so many people here with the SAME Last name that their family branches are identified with other names. The last name of MARACLE for example - which was my Mother's maiden name. There are so many branches that they became known as Pencils, Teapots, Racoons, Bucks, Buds and a whole bunch of others. Mom's first English name is Ada - so she is known as Ada Pencil. There is also an Ada Teapot and Ada Buck etc. But all have the Legal name of Ada Maracle.
    Did that help???!!!! LOL!

Posted By Altree94 | Dec 11, 2006

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?