Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0

Interview with MsJacquiiC
    First printed ThePoetrySpot Articles
    October 1, 2007 by TheBlackPoet

Jacquii Cooke picture updated 2012...
    MsJacquiiC you've been a member of TheBlackPoet Community since June 20, 2007. I remember you saying in a thread, you saw my site name on a VBulletin, and decided to join, but, you are also a Webmaster of your own site; Poetry in Color Forum can you tell me about your site, and what got you started?

Well 1st I'd like to say thank you for this interview opportunity! It's not very often that we can find quality internet Communities within the niche of poetry - So I feel flattered that you'd want to do this interview.

I'm Jacquii Cooke, Webmistress of JPiC Forum - Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum. I'd previously been a Super Moderator on another poetry Forum that was geared exclusively for Black Folks or what I like to call the "African American experience" --- That was OK, but there was so much drama and frustration blooming within the Community and I had ideas of my own that I wanted to implement. The Webmaster of that particular Forum -- "family" as all the Members call it -- was not trying to hear any of it, thus JPiC. I began JPiC in June of 2006 and really wanted to have a Community atmosphere as opposed to having a tight-knit "family" type thing. I thought the benefits of having such a Community would not only eliminate any tension, frustration and drama, but would make it so much easier for prospective Members to feel a part of the Community. At the Forum I'd once moderated there would be people logging on and they'd actually sense that they were not part of the "clique" and you'd never hear from them again. The tension was actually that thick....

[IMG]
    So the main idea behind JPiC was to have an all-inclusive Community that not only embraces Black American culture - but all other cultures as well. And to my amazement - Within the first few months of JPiC, we had Members register from all over the world. At this very moment there is a HUGE diversity amongst our Members and it makes it easy for people to logon and simply share in the joy of creating literature, rather than sharing a mutual frustration about being part of a minority group. I think that's what sets JPiC at the forefront of internet writing Communities: the diversity is welcomed and encouraged. As a matter of fact - the very 1st motto for JPiC is "Celebrating Diversity With The Typed Word."

Your site hosts poets and writers from all races, when you thought of this forum, did you think you would be as successful as you have been with membership?

I am actually quite surprised at the amount of love Poetry has enticed from all different cultures rather than the success of our Membership base. It's nice to see that people who have such different cultures can come together through poetry. I mean really - It simply amazes me that people from so many backgrounds can embrace the written word of others. Makes me think that poetry has some type of hidden cure for humanity. And I know this will sound horribly cliche - but think about it... The first lines of that old Vietnam war song "What the World Needs Now Is Love" by Jackie DeShannon --- "What the world needs now is love sweet love/ It's the only thing that there's just too little of..." JPiC has epitomized this lyric - only substitute the word "poetry" for the word "love" --- Perhaps the war-mongers could use a dose of poetic cure ((another coy smile - LOL)) But yeah - I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of diversity and poetic love JPiC has garnered. Exquisitely surprised one might say!

[IMG]
    Most Poetry sites have restrictive rules about their members posting certain types of poems, and limited amount per day, what is your policy on your site?

I could quote to you our Censorship Policy - As a matter of fact I will: "There are many within the writing world who have very distinct opinions on the issue of censorship. From the mild warning of age-appropriateness (ie. the PG, PG-13, G & NC-17 rated film) to those who'd like seek to shutdown a novel's debut... Some would seek to put all "provocatively clad" ladies out of the mainstream ------> etcetera... etcetera... JPiC Forum For Writers has taken an extremely liberal approach to the censorship issue: THERE IS NONE" That's our policy and I'm stickin' to it! And really for one reason alone: why limit creativity? I couldn't really find an answer to that question - thus our no-censorship policy. We do -- however -- have a section called Adults Only. It's a section devoted only to adult-oriented jokes. But as far as poetry and story postings - the policy is simple: no censoring of JPiC Poets, Writers & Artistes.

How much does it cost to register at your site?

Registration at JPiC is absolutely FREE! We do accept charitable donations from Members. Our policy at the moment is Members who donate $20 or more are moved into the Contributors Membergroup. Contributors have a special rank badge and enjoy a variety of enhanced board features like our new Member Blogs.

Will your site ever host commercial advertisements?

JPiC does advertise via Google Adsense and Burst Media advertisings. We have tried to keep the advertisements to a minimum and to make them as unobtrusive as possible. Generally - Unregistered guests will see the bulk of advertisements, which of course helps to bring much-needed revenue to the JPiC PayPal account, which in turn helps us to provide updated features and upgrades, as well as helping to expedite the cost of running the board as a free service.

[IMG]
    After registering to your site, and posting a few poems, the members welcomed me with open arms and I was left with the feeling of being accepted. With that feeling, I keep coming back, and inviting other poets to join up. How do you explain this hospitality?

Ha! Well I'm a native Tennessean. What you have experienced is called Southern Hospitality at its very best ((coy giggle now - LOL)) Really though - It goes back to what I was saying about offering and encouraging a Community atmosphere rather than a space filled with drama & pent-up rage... Now - I'm of the persuasion that I like to smile and most times like to make others smile as well. I like to feel welcome. I like to feel like I'm in a place where I can offer my opinion without having others dissing me. It's called open-acceptance I suppose. So whenever I'm online - I try to encourage Members to do the same by offering such an example. Don't get me wrong though - I've been known to offer harsh opinions and not-so-ladylike language as well. I think the thing about JPiC is that deep down inside of everyone is the feeling that you tell the absolute truth and others do the same for you. I suppose it's biblical really - The "do onto others as you would have them do to you" cliche. But it works - And yes - there are a lot of happy people on JPiC ((demure laugh tehehehe)) so the hospitality is amazing.

Are you married?

Oh My - How may I sidestep this question? ((chuckles)) I might very well say I'm married with kids and JPiC is one of my kids... Truly though - I'm spoken for.

When I decided to interview you, we talked about it, I asked you for a faceshot to go with this interview, you were reluctant, can you tell me why?

Because I don't like guns anymore? Actually I don't really have any recent pictures of myself and if I did I don't think I would share them. Many don't know this about me -- It's public knowledge though I suppose -- But I had a nervous breakdown several years ago - And in the process of "getting my self together" I've gained a hell of a lot of weight. The camera would actually have to be a widelense one. All kidding aside - I suppose I've always kinda been a bit shy around the camera. Possibly even a bit self-conscious about how I look and how people will think about me after seeing my facade. The picture I posted on JPiC is actually several years old - I haven't changed very much since the picture was taken except for my weight gain. So yes - A little reluctant, but truly speaking - I don't have a recent photo or a digi-cam at the moment...

[IMG]
    What is your favorite genre of poetry or writing?

I like all types of poetry really. I suppose I like the more abstract styles, as it gives you something to really ponder; a puzzle of sorts. I love romantic poetry when it's written well. But as far as novels - I'm more into the urban fiction genre. I also love historical fiction, mystery, reference books (especially how-tos of poetry), biographical. I'm just fascinated with a good story I suppose - I'm an avid reader... My favorite novel is White Oleander by Janet Fitch. She writes with such flair - it's amazing in its audacity and so very poetic. I suppose my most favorite poet of all time is Langston Hughes. He wrote about most anything really, even surpassing the poetic genre with his stories about Semple. Amazing stuff.

Have you ever been on stage?

I was actually a Techy. I did the setting of lights and stage management when I was in highschool. I never quite had the gumption to do the acting thing. But if you mean other than acting - I was actually 1st Chair Tubist all throughout highschool and made several musical performances and participated in many recitals. It's not something that I talk about often these days, as I haven't picked up my horn in years - but music was my 1st love I suppose. It's like what poetry is for me now - I was a total band geek, fanatical to the core about playing the tuba and performing in duets, trios, quartets even dixieland quintets. So - yes - I've had my share of stage lights. Very fond memories of being in the lights and on stage.

[IMG]
    Who or what is your muse when writing?

Well it really depends on the mood I'm in. Most of my writing does take on an abstract quality, though I don't know if I could actually "name" my muse... Perhaps if I could, her name would be Sista Freedom. A lot of my earlier poetry is about persevering through tribulation for the ultimate goal of grasping the essense of TRUE Freedom. Perhaps my Muse's name would be Sista Freedom-Love, as the principle of truelove is ever-intertwined with TRUE Freedom.

What types of literature are not allowed on your site?
    To be honest - I have very seldom seen any type of literature that would not be allowed on JPiC. That's another distinction about the Forum actually. The official name is JPiC Forum For Writers. And though our main venue is to provide an outlet for Poets to share their work, we also have sections for essays, short-stories & longer-written works, as well as a section for book reviews. In short, ALL types of literature are allowed on JPiC. We do have a Posting Policy that prohibits certain genres such as willingly racist, homophobic, ageist literature, as well as writings that celebrate personal attacks or purposeless hate. Any posts of that nature will surely be deleted by either myself or a Member of the JPiC Moderating Team, as we strive to build positively through poetry and writing as opposed to the alternative. It's a thin line so to say, and often open to interpretation. We do try to keep the hate out though. We also have a feature (as do most internet forums) that allows Members to report posts. And of course - I as Administrator will make the final decision should there be any dispute as to whether a piece of writing breaks the rules of our Posting Policy.

Have you ever had to ban someone?

Ha! Funny that you ask. I actually banned someone earlier today. And probably not for the reason that you think. There was a gentleman who posted earlier advertising his website that offers free money or some such. So I deleted the thread he started and banned him from JPiC. I'm the type of Webmistress that doesn't look kindly on SPAM - I think it's the scourge of online interactives... I mean really - There are actually software applications people can buy that will allow them to SPAM 1000s of email address at one time. In my opinion the gentleman who posted should have bought one of those applications, because his SPAM was not going to stay on JPiC for any amount of time. So yes - I have banned a few Registered Members for spamming the Forum. I've also banned Members for other reasons as well, but we're lucky at JPiC. We haven't had many troublesome Members at all really.

How does that feel to ban a person when literature is about free expression?

I've just checked the JPiC Ban log and to my recollection we have never banned anyone based on their posted literature and we surely don't seek to do that now or ever. JPiC is all about the Artists' right to free expression as noted in our No-Censorship policy.

[IMG]
    When you write, do you use music, candles, or moods to inspire you?

In my writing? Sure. I've actually written several pieces directly inspired from candles and incense and potpourri, etcetera... We do take what inspiration we can get ((coy laughter)) -- Whatever can keep the writers block away...

Who is your favorite music artist (group)?

I'm actually a classical music and jazz fanatic. And though I like ALL kinds of music --- I like my music like I like my poetry --- I have to say Coltrane & Miles Davis are my favorites in jazz, as well as Ella Fitgerald. Joshua Redman is a really great saxophonist of the here-and-now. And being classically trained musician I have to say I adore Rossini, Tchaikowsky, Wagner amongst a slew of others. I'm actually a huge fan of Opera. Yeah yeah yeah - I know - it's not your average Black person that listens to Puccini all day long - But I do. And I enjoy it. As far as R&B - My favorites are Angie Stone, Mary J. Blige (of course), Monica, anything on the mellow tip I suppose. I love Keyshia Cole's new album - that song featuring Missy Elliott & Lil Kim really is hot! I don't really do country though. Southern hospitality is one thing - but most country music I've heard can make the cats hollar. It's not nice for me ((chuckle))

Are you a casual dresser, business, or jeans girl?

Definitely casual, as I hate to feel like I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go... Jeans and t-shirt -- or more accurately now, stretch pants/capris and a fat shirt. Not the muumuu mind you - but fat shirt.

What kind of car do you drive, and what kind do you WANT to drive?

I actually don't drive anymore. (Long personal story that I won't share.) I do have a '79 Cadillac DeVille that I started "restoring" --- but it's been collecting dust for some years nows... I'm a taxi-cab confession Girl.

[IMG]
    Do you plan to live in Tennessee all your life?

Tennessee is so beautiful to me. I love looking up and seeing the fabulous sunset amongst the most beautiful Autumn colors. I was born in Oak Ridge, TN on September 19, 1975 and still live in the same city. Right at this particular moment - I can't really imagine calling anywhere else home.

Have you ever traveled outside of Tennessee?

I have traveled. I've been all over the United States in and out of several different states. But my most memorable trip was in highschool when I got to travel to Italy with a touring musical group. It was a small ensemble of brass instruments (I played the tuba of course) and about a 30 group chorus. We actually had a personal audience with then Pope John Paul II - We toured the Vatican extensively, also visited Pompeii, Florence & Rome. It was a FABULOUS trip, except for my music performance... I'd actually misplaced some of my music and had to "wing it" --- Thing is, I'm a classically trained tubist - I don't play by ear. So it was a disasterous performance. But the travel aspect of the trip was just AWESOME. Rome, Italy is not only where I had my very first legal cocktail, but also where I 1st fell in love with the visual aspect of artistry.

What is your opinion of race relations in this country?

Oh My! Seems like a loaded question. But wow! To be honest I'd have to say race relations are at the best they've ever been in the entire history of the United States. That's truth! But I'm sure things could be better. But can't a lot of things be better?

[IMG]
    Which candidate you believe is going to win the presidency?

I'm really not sure actually. I haven't had much of a look at the Republican candidates, though I think Fred Thompson (the ex-Senator of Tennessee) may have a fighting chance, especially if paired up with Condeleeza Rice as a running mate. On the other side - Hillary has always looked good - politically speaking. She's the Woman who said "I ain't the woman who is singing the Stand By Your Man song" - But she has stood by, and nobly I would imagine is how everyone else sees it. She's a very smart woman. Mr. Obama is a very smart man. I'm not sure if he has the "experience" to be President though. I mean look at it - He's really still a little wet-behind-the-ears and has barely moved out of the Senate basement. At anyrate - I can't imagine that who ever is President will be able to ever do anything really substantial. There's always talk about "merging the aisles" of Congress so that there can be a "real" unity. But it's just that: talk. And as a lover of politics, I hate to be so pessimistic about the system - but we'll see. I think it will be a very interesting race though. Especially to see the many skeletons that come tumbling out of the Candidates' collective closets during the dirt-slinging media-disclosed scandals.

Which candidate do you plan to vote for?

I don't even know if I WILL vote. I imagine I will because then I would have all god-given right to complain about what's wrong with the country and the present administration. ((raucous laugh))

Lastly, how long do you plan to run Poetry in Color Forum

I won't put a time frame on it. I just love what JPiC has done for so many people and especially what being a part of such a diverse Community of uber-talented Artistes has done for me.

I like to think that JPiC will be online as long as there's an internet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, As a Forum Owner, a Black Man, A Friend, and Poet, I wish you and your site all the success in the world.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 6, 2007

2. Cheeky

lasher Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey now MsJ,

An interview - kool! MsJ is movin' on up.... I'm glad you posted this, I have a better picture of who the brain child of jpic truly is - and a beautiful picture it is, indeed...
    Multi-talented would be an understatement...
    Is this going throughout the poetic internet? I hope so, mucho congratulations to you MsJ, :toot:

Posted By lasher | Oct 6, 2007
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    Oh My! :blush2: Thanx LASHER - I hope I didn't come off as too much of a twit LOL - I do sometimes have a really good sense of humor with bad timing :p --- But I'm happy the way the interview went - Thanx for commenting ;)

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 8, 2007

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOOT
    GO MsJ!
    Yayaya. Jpic FTW! and forever!
    *huggles*
    Great stuff...
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    uh oh? What is FTW :blush2: -- See I don't know EVERYthang lol
    Anyway - thanx MS MANGO :jpicrocks:

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 10, 2007
  5. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    :toot: :wow: Ms Jacquii this was an awesome interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean, concise, professional, informative, and humorous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to social network this interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PD ;)
  6. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    HA! Thanx so much MS KIM - I already put it on my facebook page :blush2:
    AND on the JPiC MySpace page - so did a little social bookmarking lol
    Anyway - appreciates your comments Dahling!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 15, 2007

TheBlackPoet New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    you are a beautiful person... please take that and run with it.... aint no shame in being beautiful....... I am glad this interview went well... (not all do..)... thank you for giving me the time to get to know you better...

Kit Carson JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, you know i loved every minute of it! Very concise and enjoyable. I knew most of this just through chats and comments with you, but it confirms everything I already thought about you and I can sum it up in one brief southern phrase..."she's good people." Thank you for giving us this, thank you Mr. Robinson for making it happen and thanks Mz. Robinson for shouting about it as you should.

Posted By Kit Carson | Oct 20, 2007
  7. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    So anyway - I found out FTW = "For The Win" SO YES! JPiC FTW :D
    At anyrate - I thank you so much FRED for the opportunity - It was a lot of fun doing the interview and after reading it again - I think I may be borderline insane - but it was indeed a nice opportunity so Thanx (((I think I'm rambling LOL)))

Thanx to you as well MIKE for your comment! I like to think I'm good people so it's nice to hear that from such a talented Artiste ;)

Jacquii.
  8. Angelic

stardust JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Dear Ms. Jacquii:
    Thank you so much for your professional poetic perfections to make all the Poets gather together in your site, and communicate with each other in such a friendly way!! Congratulations, dear Ms. Jacquii, for the outstanding job that you are doing!! Job well done, as a matter of fact, IT IS PERFECT!! Thank you, Ms. Robinson for sending me the p.m. regarding this information, so that I may share my comments in here. Ms. Jacquii, I send you my deep gratefulness for accepting me as a member of your friendly JPiC Community for Poets and Writers. I am so pleased and so honoured of being part of your team. If you need anything from me, please, count on me. I am a good friend. (((HUGS))) Starry.:thanx::thanx:

Posted By stardust | Oct 20, 2007
  9. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    Ha! Thanx MS STARRY - I must admit that I am a bit of a perfectionist especially as far as JPiC is concerned LOL - Thanx so much for your lovely comment - I'm glad you enjoyed the interview ;)

Jacquii.

poprulz New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must admit, she has done a stupendous job in maintaining JPiC. Kudos Ms jacquii!

I joined JPiC not because I love poems ( no offence) , but to have a look at the forum skin and the mods installed (yea..i am a webmaster myself). I happened to check this thread accidentally and if I had left without commenting about her that would be unfair from my part. You guys are really lucky to have an admin like her (need to ask her how long she spends daily to maintain the site, not to write poems :p).
    I have no idea about the content hosted here, but being a webmaster I would say JPiC.info is one among the best forum I have ever visited and all credits to Jacquii.

Signing off.

Posted By poprulz | Jan 4, 2008
  10. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    Haha! The time/management thing is secret :p LOL - Thanx so much POPRULZ for your lovely commentary - I'm so happy you like what we've created here - I say we because JPiC has an AWESOME Moderating Team - so I share the credit ;)

And yes - JPiC is a heavily modified vBulletin install - we have a lot of extras and custom graphics that have taken a load of time to implement into the forum design - So it's always nice to receive such wonderful feedback from other Forum Administrators!

Thanx :blush2:

Jacquii.

ps - Poetry is LOVELY - and the amount of talent here on JPiC is FABULOUS! So credit to our Members for making JPiC such a success as well... Perhaps one day - you may write some and share your poetry with us ;)

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 4, 2008

SuzyQ Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice to meet the Webmistress of Jpic through this interview. :)
    A tuba player... wow! So cool. A Virgo... same as me! Virgos are special, ya know?
    Your picture shows your beauty, your words show much more.

SuzyQ

Posted By SuzyQ | Jun 19, 2011
  11. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +133 / 1 / -0
    Thank you Ms SuzyQ! It's so fun reading this interview again after so many years:

Ha! I love this!!!!!!! It's totally something a virgo would say right? LOL - Virgos Rock! And so do tubists :TUBA: Ah... Haven't picked up a tuba in years.... Perhaps one day soon again.

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?