Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

When editing your writing, keep a sharp eye out for these tricky little errors that seem to crop up in nearly everyone's work at some point. The Its v. It's contraversy. The Which v. That drama... We need definitive answers for these tricky English idiosyncrasies.

Its or It's?
    It's is a contraction of it and is.
    • I'm not sure if it's going to be a success.
    • Its is possessive and shows ownership.
    • When bathing a dog, avoid getting water in its face until the end of the bath.
    Remember, "it's" never means anything else but "it is" or "it has."
    For "its," try substituting "his"- if it doesn't make sense, it should be "it's."

[IMG]

That or Which?
    Compare the following sentences:
    • We need to get the lawnmower that is in the garage.
    • We need the lawnmower, which is in the garage.
    Here's the rule: Use which for a nonrestrictive clause and that for a restrictive one.
    • For sentence #1, we are looking for the lawnmower that is in the garage, not the lawnmower in the garden shed or at the neighbor's. Our choice is restricted to the lawnmower in the garage. The "that" clause is essential to the meaning of the sentence.
    • In sentence #2, we need the lawnmower, and by the way, it's located in the garage. The "which" clause is much like an aside-it adds more information but is not essential to the meaning of the sentence.
    • Another rule: Always use a comma to set off a nonrestrictive clause (which), and don't use a comma if the clause is restrictive (that).
    A few more examples:
    • He served her a slice a pizza, which she quickly devoured.
    • She chose the slice of pizza that had pepperoni.
    • I bought my music from Best Buy, which is my favorite CD retailer.
    • The music that I download legally is from Emusic.com.
    • The car that is covered in racing stripes has just come in first.
    • The car, which is covered in racing stripes, has just come in first.
    [ Source: WritersRelief.com ]

Attached Files:

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Apr 9, 2008

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?