Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

As much as writing is a part of our soul, our personal expression, when we're trying to sell our work, we must keep in mind that we're writing for an audience. And today's audience can be tough to please. As you read what you've written, consider possible ways your work can keep a reader interested and happy.

Timing and plotting issues can ruin the flow of a story, and while these are the mistakes of a brand-new writer, it never hurts to review a few of the issues that may turn your reader off.
    Is the piece wordy, confusing, or filled with sexist language? Do you overuse certain words or phrases or bore the reader with too much jargon? It's worth a second look to make sure you're keeping your reader happy.

You've probably never read a novel in which pages and pages are devoted to tedious dialogue, and the reason is simple: chances are slim to none that such a book would get published.

The trivial interchange above does not influence the plot or define the characters. It provides nothing but filler. And when a pivotal moment does occur, it is given but one full sentence, and we're off again onto more inconsequential pursuits, like passing dishes at the dinner table or ticking off items at the grocery store. It's monotonous and meaningless.

Timing and plotting issues can ruin the flow of a story, and while these are the mistakes of a brand-new writer, it never hurts to review a few of the issues that may turn your reader off. After all, what reader wants to relive all the trivial moments of life? Don't we pick up novels in the hopes of being transported? Riveted by new experiences and interesting characters? Removed from our mundane lives for a little while?

The above example may be extreme, but the point is simple: keep your reader in mind at all times. Have others read what you've written and consider their comments.

Here are some other things to avoid in your quest to make your reader a happy camper:

• Wordiness

I, myself, have not decided what to do in the event that I don't graduate this year. Perhaps I could utilize my parents' connections to secure a job, like many individuals before me have done.

Today's reading audience appreciates a straightforward, concise read. They're busy, and they appreciate concise, economical language. Why use the word "utilize" when you can say "use"? Or "in the event of" when you can say "if"? And save the "myself" and "individuals" for police reports...

• Sexually or racially biased language

The serving girl arrived with Cokes for the lady doctor and the Oriental gentleman.

Someone is bound to be offended by this sentence.

• Shifting tenses

It had been awhile since Sarah saw Bruce, and she is in love with him. They will have been a couple for two years now if it weren't for their three-month separation.

Confusing? Yes. Irritating? Extremely.

• Comma splicing

There was a lovely fragrance in the air, she was so taken by the local flora that she vowed to make a stop at the garden center before leaving town.

Make these two separate sentences, or add a conjunction to join them. Please.

[ Source: WritersRelief.com ]

Attached Files:

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Apr 9, 2008

2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Nice :)

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Nov 20, 2010

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?