Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Discussion in 'Creative Traditional' started by Sartor, Sep 3, 2007.

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0

PLAYGROUND
    A Shakespearean sonnet

Born free and wild, now his unquestioned slave.
    With siblings she was captured and controlled.
    Her master could be either knight or knave.
    Without his love, life would be dark and cold.
    He dresses her in green and white and blue,
    then showers her with kisses from above,
    though just a slave, to him she will be true,
    now and forever he shall have her love.
    But wait, see now the children in the yard,
    they play about the staff with tethered ball,
    ‘tis but a game, although they hit it hard,
    the ball is captured, never can it fall.
    Think back! The master and the slave have worth,
    the staff our sun, the tethered ball this earth.

Sartor

Posted By Sartor | Sep 3, 2007

Moonchild Moon Goddess of Whispers

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wonderful Sonnet and perfectly structured
    and formed Sartor. Love the closing couplets.
    Clever ending that I didn't expect.
    Very creative and very well done!

Posted By Moonchild | Sep 4, 2007

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Moonchild........thank you for your reply. I see you understand the proper form of the Shakespearean sonnet. The main theme, that theme extended, the twist and the new conclusion. So many people have no idea how or why it is formed in such a manner.

Posted By Sartor | Sep 4, 2007

JolieH JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice Sartor,
    Such deep meaning to contemplate, sometimes I think my mind is like the ball, with so many of life's systems and responsabilites perpetuating me around the never ending staff. It's only a dream to cut the rope and bounce endlessly in which ever direction I chose.

I should try to write a sonnet. I think I tried a couple times, but didn't feel happy with the results. I am aware of number of lines, rhyme and meter, but I didn't know about , the main theme etc... so why is it formed in this manner?

Posted By JolieH | Sep 24, 2007

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jolie.........The Shakespearean Sonnet..........also known as the English Sonnet.........derived from the many sonnets that Shakespeare, mostly using this theme. What is the theme? It is a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in the sonnet. You see Jolie, other then the number of line, the strict rhyme schemes and the first, second and third quatrains ending with the couplet, the English Sonnet has an inherent argument in the way it builds up. How it builds up is related to it's metaphors and how it moves from one metaphor to the next. It goes like this:

First quatrain....introduces the main theme. In PLAYGROUND........my theme is our Sun & Earth. The theme is disguised as a slave (the earth) with siblings (the planets in our solar system) and the Master (our sun)

Second quatrain....the theme and metaphor is extended or complicated. Here I talk of how she is dressed........Green and Blue.......(the oceans and continents) and how he showers her with kisses..(without the sun and rain all life on earth would die)

Third quatrain....Now comes the twist or you may think of it as a conflict. It usually always starts on the ninth line and many times that first word is "but". Notice in my twist, how I have taken the entire first two quatrains and changed the theme of the poem so far. From a Master with slaves to children in a playground. The reader is now somewhat confused as to just what the theme is.

Couplet....The final two lines are a couplet. it summarizes and leaves the reader with a new, concluding image. For now I tell the reader to think back from the playground tetherball to the master slaves and explain that the theme of the poem is the sun and the earth.

Hope you gain something from this...................Thanks again for replying to the poem.

Sartor

Posted By Sartor | Sep 24, 2007

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?