Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0

SELENOLATRY LOST

Rise and dip thou spectral ship
    plowing yon clouded sky
    Blow winter breeze through freezing trees
    moaning thy lullaby.

Through the night reflected light
    is all thee ever gives
    Throughout the day we hide away
    like two sad fugitives.

We would dine on bread and wine
    beneath thy eerie glow
    We gave love to thee above
    and suffered here below.

My love was lost she paid the cost
    of selenolatry faith
    She died thus of moon madness
    for thee, thou specter wraith.

Wax and wane in twisted pain
    thou dead, thou lifeless sphere
    Move along, be gone, be gone
    I shed no useless tear.

No more I shun the golden sun
    my soul is in rebirth
    No more astray in your decay
    dead child of mother earth.

Sartor

Posted By Sartor | Nov 8, 2006

Amzy A friend, Well met.

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! A great read, Sartor. You have a way with story telling in verse. I like how your story ends by eschewing selenolatry and not going as far as turning to heliolatry.

Posted By Amzy | Nov 8, 2006

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Amzy...........to give up worship of the moon and then making an idol of the sun would be..........redundant, to say the least. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

Posted By Sartor | Nov 8, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This was fantastic! The internal rhymes and the assonance throughout made this a most enjoyable read, even though you did refer to Grandmother moon as a dead child of mother earth! (Sorry Sartor, that's just my Native upbring coming out) Thank-you for posting!

Posted By Altree94 | Nov 9, 2006

lanaia74 New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Superb! Bravo! Applauds!

Posted By lanaia74 | Nov 9, 2006

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Altree........Thank you for your comments. Of course the term "dead child" refers to the fact that the moon is lifeless and believed by some to have once been a part of the earth, thrown off as it was being formed. In times past many people worshiped the moon as a goddess. Your reference to Grandmother Moon must come from tribal legends or stories, although I am not familiar with the phrase.

Lanaia......I appreciate the applause. Smiles to you.

Posted By Sartor | Nov 9, 2006

Bear JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this is a great seasonal nature write as all dies in the cold of the freezing winds and the moon a lifeless sphere. fantastic penning
    handshakes
    tom

Posted By Bear | May 24, 2007

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tom........Many have worshiped the moon in bygone years and perhaps some still do to this day. Thanks for your comments.

Posted By Sartor | May 28, 2007
  1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    OK SARTOR - there is something really special going on within your words - I new the "root" ...olatry has meaning worship - Wasn't quite sure what SELENolatry was - so I googled of course...

At anyrate - Moon worship? Lost...? Interesting topic right of the bat. Then to go into such beautiful structure of your poem - each word placed precisely correct - makes for a wonderful wonderful poem - Shouldn't ever expect any less of you Wordsmith!

This stanza really speaks to me and my "condition" - I can truly relate to having given and given and given... Have not much left to give; Some would be so brazen as to say NOTHING left to give LOL - But then I believe in the principle of karma...

This is highly interesting, as I've come to know that you don't just sling the word "love" very liberally and/or loosely - So I paid particular attention to the above stanza... I suppose the Wraith must be an utterly abhorable thing. Moon madness indeed LOL - This is a fabulous poem SARTOR - there's bits of philosophy, spirituality, romanticism within your poem AND it reads beautifully.

I do wonder of course - What is your inspiration? What inspired you to pen this poem?

thanx for the sharing ;)
    Love write!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jun 12, 2007

Sartor JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jac.........Oddly enough this poem was still on the notification list so I did receive the information that you had posted a reply in this thread. Thank you for the comments.

Many civilizations have worshiped the moon as a goddess. Some see her as a consort to the sun. Regardless of "why" they did so, I believe that many of the ancient peoples, who did not understand a thing, had a tendency to invent the reason for it's being, usually placing it within their religion. Even to this day, Wiccans worship the earth as a goddess.

A Wraith is, of course, a shade, spook or spectre, the same as a ghost, although it can also mean a mental image that haunts the mind.

Where did the inspiration come from to write this bit of poetry? In all truth I have no idea. When my muse delivers a phrase or thought that stirs my imagination, I will write about it and as the words flow onto the paper, the basic structure of the poem develops. Strangely, I often write poetry out of sequence. The verses come in a confusing order. Perhaps the final verse will be actually written as the second verse and the opening verse may be written down as the fifth verse, leaving me to sort them out into an orderly presentation.

Thanks again for your note.

Sartor

Posted By Sartor | Jun 14, 2007
  2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    LOL - thanx for the comment SARTOR
    Also the JPiC vBulletin system notifies Members when there are posts in their threads regardless of time.
    Anyway - glad to have found this poem - It is quite exquisite!
    Thanx again for the poem and the comments ;)

Jacquii.

Jer4clarity Lover of Meanings

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Moon glow!

Sartor,

You have a fan! The meter, verse, flow, rhyme, etc etc. you are easy to read and obviously a ballad professional. I had to look up the word too! Moon worship. What a flair your pen doth wear!

My Fav:
    Jerry

I give you a hi-five on this one!:smile:

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?