Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

The Ayn Rand Institute
    The Center for the Advancement of Objectivism
    The Ayn Rand Institute: Fountainhead Essay Contest

The Fountainhead Essay Contest

For 11th and 12th Graders

Entry Deadline:
    April 25, 2008

• FIRST PRIZE: $10,000
    • 5 SECOND PRIZES: $2,000
    • 10 THIRD PRIZES: $1,000
    • 45 FINALISTS: $100
    • 175 SEMIFINALISTS: $50

THE FOUNTAINHEAD--TOPICS
    Select ONE of the following three topics:

[imga=right]http://www.aynrand.org/images/content/pagebuilder/75278.jpg[/imga]
    1. In dynamiting Cortlandt Homes, Roark breaks the law. What is the moral and philosophical argument for the rectitude of his action?

2. In a single, unified essay, explain each of the following quotation’s meaning in The Fountainhead and its wider significance.

• HELLER: “You know, there’s a thing that stumps me. You’re the coldest man I know. And I can’t understand why—knowing that you’re actually a fiend in your own quiet sort of way—why I always feel, when I see you, that you’re the most life-giving person I’ve ever met.” (Part 1, Chapter 13)

• LANSING: “I want a good hotel, and I have certain standards of what is good, and they’re my own, and you’re the one who can give me what I want. And when I fight for you, I’m doing—on my side of it—just what you’re doing when you design a building.” (Part 2, Chapter 10)

• KEATING: “How do you always manage to decide?” ROARK: “How can you let others decide for you?” (Part 1, Chapter 13)

3. Ellsworth Toohey and Gail Wynand both spent much of their lives consciously seeking power over others. But was their quest for power the same? How did each man’s goals and motivations contrast to Roark’s?

THE FOUNTAINHEAD--JUDGING
    Essays will be judged on both style and content. Judges will look for writing that is clear, articulate and logically organized. Winning essays must demonstrate an outstanding grasp of the philosophic and psychological meaning of The Fountainhead.

THE FOUNTAINHEAD--RULES
    Entrant must be in the eleventh or twelfth grade.

To avoid disqualification, a stapled cover sheet MUST include: your name and address; your e-mail address (if available); the name and address of your high school; topic selected (#1, 2 or 3 from list above); your current grade level and (optional) the name of the teacher who assigned the essay, if you are completing it for classroom credit.

Essay must be no fewer than 800 and no more than 1,600 words in length, and must be typewritten and double-spaced. One entry per student, please.

Essay must be solely the work of the entrant.

Essay must be postmarked no later than April 25, 2008.

Decisions of the judges are final.

Employees of the Ayn Rand Institute, its board of directors and their immediate family members are not eligible for this contest. Past first place winners are not eligible for this contest.

All entries become the property of the Ayn Rand Institute and will not be returned.

Winners, finalists, semifinalists and all other participants will be notified will be notified via e-mail and/or by mail by July 26, 2008.

Note: All information necessary to enter the contest is contained on this page. It is not necessary to write for more information.

THE FOUNTAINHEAD--TO ENTER

Submit your essay online

Or mail your essay with stapled cover sheet to:
    The Fountainhead Essay Contest, Dept. W
    The Ayn Rand Institute
    P.O. Box 57044
    Irvine, CA 92619-7044

Please do not submit duplicate essays!

If you wish to verify our receipt of your essay, please paperclip a stamped, self-addressed postcard to the essay. If you submit your essay online, we will send you an e-mail reply acknowledging receipt of your entry. If you have not received e-mail notification within 24 hours, please e-mail essay@aynrand.org.

Comments or questions about the essay contests are welcome. Please write to essay@aynrand.org.

[BREAK=Submit Essay Online]
    [IFRAME]http://www.aynrand2.org/contests/ecos_form.html[/IFRAME]

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 2, 2007

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?