Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

reasonrhymer New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Gravity of Man

Gravity has me feeling this old earth--
    body revolutions in death and birth.
    Contemplating freedom from this earth’s sin,
    but stuck to a planet with all this spin.

Just one jump is the seed of flight,
    spirits sailing at speeds of light.
    No atmosphere to keep us down,
    no thought of fear to hold a frown

Gravity of man--stuck on sensation,
    never get enough-- mankind’s frustration,
    Apples they keep falling upon his head,
    no heed to the call-- rather stay in bed.

Spirit dreams ‘bout life with no bars,
    jumpin and flying-- passing stars.
    Soaring with angels in seas of sky,
    no earth’s pull from your place on high.

The cliffs look scary and the chasm deep,
    the wings are weary and this heart is weak.
    Jumpin & flying’s a dreamers game,
    gravity’s life is for the hell’s insane.

George

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Contemplations of suicide? Hi REASONRHYMER - what an interesting write - I'm not sure what it's about really - Gravity of man and the references to Contemplating freedom from this earth’s sin AND Just one jump is the seed of flight- leads me to think it's about a person weighing the possibility of jumping from a tall building, ending it all in one final leap of emancipation. Emancipation from the pain of living in a world that'd rather hate him or her...

What inspired this poem? At anyrate - thanx for the share.

JAcquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 15, 2008

reasonrhymer New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey there Jacquii,

Thanks for reading the poem, nope no thoughts of suicide here, but I can see how you might read that.

So what inspired this poem: Well, this may make it more complicated when I explain it, but here goes.

So, I have always had this thought about gravity; that if we didn’t have it we could jump so high and run so fast and we likely could even fly at least in my imagination. I have always wanted to run and jump high and fly since I was a kid. I have lots of dreams about being able to do so.

And then the idea that we “the spirit” sort of without the body, we would not be so stuck to the gravity of this earth, if you know what I mean. I’d like to think that even though we are tied to this thing we call a body we can sort of jump and be in flight (kind of out of the body), to some degree or another I have experienced this and think or hope most people have. That is what I describe below in the poem.

“Just one jump is the seed of flight,
    spirits sailing at speeds of light.
    No atmosphere to keep us down,
    no thought of fear to hold a frown”

Now I probably should stop explaining but there is a little more that inspired this poem. I have had somewhat of a re-occurring dream over the years of a few things where gravity has kept me down while awake. And in this dream I can do them. One is I have always wanted to be able to dunk a basketball, but the closest I ever got was I once dunked a tennis ball. The other is I ride motorcycles and I have always wanted to be able to ride a “wheelie” you know balancing on the rear wheel. Well, I always have been afraid of gravity of falling due to pulling the front wheel to far and landing on my ass. Back to the dream, in these recurring dreams I can do both of those with ease, I love those dreams of being free of the restrictions of my own fear and of that damn gravitational pull.

I guess the bottom line for me the poem is about freedom from the pull of the earth and the pull of the body and about soaring with the stars as a spiritual being.
    Hope my explanation helps,

reasonrhymer

2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    :wow: I hear ya and the explanation is right on point! I've had similar dreams actually - especially the flight thing - but when I awake it's odd what I remember.... For example - I have this recurring dream about flying - but it seems that I run - my lower body floats and my elbows are doing the running - like inverted at a 45 degree angle - it's odd really - At anyrate - thanx very much - the poem makes so much more sense now - I think I was in a gothic type of mood when I read it - but like the song says ..... "I can see clearly now... the rain is gone..."

Beautiful piece of artistry you've scribed Poet! Thanks again for the sharing!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 16, 2008
  3. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I love the poem reasonrhymer! It's strange that we all dream of flying. I think that we really are preparing ourselves for when we move on to heaven and are able to flit about the universe in the blink of an eye. Mine flying dream is one where I'm running and strangely enough I then start taking huge leaps and bounds and stay suspended in the air for long moments before landing again. It's pretty cool. Of course, I'm always disappointed when I awake!

Awesome poem, nonetheless!

Nomad
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Same think here - I've had those types of flying dreams too - And then have to wake up with a sigh LOL

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 17, 2008

reasonrhymer New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nomad & Jacquii,

I have had both your dreams too. Now we have to figure out how to fly when were awake, now that would be somethin.

lv,

RR
  5. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    OMFG - I was just thinking that earlier - it would be magic to have the ability in awakened hours... "I don't like what your giving me..." And just fly away LOL -- Great comment GEORGE!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 19, 2008

Terence Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi George, I kinda picked up what your poem was saying before reading your explanation. The key for me was 'freedom' - escape from physical Earth and all of it's human problems, rising up into a more spiritual strata. Of course, if you wre to go to the moon, you would escape from gravitational, physical, forces and I would imagine that would give one a very real sense of the spiritual.

Nicely penned, Terence

Posted By Terence | Jan 19, 2008

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?