Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

Potter Reaches Cult Phenomenon Status

[imga=left]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8691/harrypottersffgfx705200fp6.jpg[/imga]Jun 30, 4:11 PM (ET)
    By HILLEL ITALIE
    NEW YORK (AP) - As the Harry Potter series wraps up this summer, we can look back at two remarkable narratives: Potter the boy wizard and Potter the cultural phenomenon.

Potter the wizard's fate will be known July 21 with the release of "Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows," Book 7 of J.K. Rowling's fantasy epic. Worldwide sales of the first six books already top 325 million copies and the first printing for "Deathly Hallows" is 12 million in the United States alone.

Potter the phenomenon doesn't compare for suspense, but like the wizard's tale, it is unique and extraordinary and well placed in tradition. Like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek," it is the story of how a work of popular art becomes a world of its own - imitated, merchandised and analyzed, immortalized not by the marketers, but by the fans.

"Every phenomenon is a kind of myth unto itself, a myth about how a phenomenon becomes a phenomenon. The story of how the public embraced Potter only gives more momentum to Potter in our culture," says Neal Gabler, an author and cultural critic whose books include "Walt Disney" and "Life the Movie: How Entertainment Conquered Reality."

True phenomena are never planned. Not "Star Trek," a series canceled after three seasons by NBC; or "Star Wars," rejected throughout Hollywood before taken on by 20th Century Fox, which didn't bother pushing for merchandising or sequel rights. The public knew better - the young people who screamed for the Beatles or watched "Star Wars" dozens of times or carried on for years about "Star Trek" after its cancellation.

In the beginning, "Harry Potter" simply needed a home. Several British publishers turned down Rowling, believing her manuscript too long and/or too slow, before the Bloomsbury Press signed her up in 1996, for $4,000 and a warning not to expect to get rich from writing children's books. An American publisher had bigger ideas: Scholastic editor Arthur A. Levine acquired U.S. rights for $105,000.

"I can vividly remember reading the manuscript and thinking, 'This reminds me of Roald Dahl,' an author of such skill, an author with a unique ability to be funny and cutting and exciting at the same time," Levine says.

"But I could not possibly have had the expectation we would be printing 12 million copies for one book ('Deathly Hallows'). That's beyond anyone's experience. I would have had to be literally insane."

• Read entire article HERE
    • Your chance to win Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows HERE

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jul 1, 2007

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! This is crrrraaaazy.
    Wonder how it got so big o_O

Sally Roberts Forestdawn

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Greetings Fellow poets and writers:
    The Harry Potter books became very popular when the negativity of some of the church groups tryed to ban the Potter books from schools, libraries, and book stores. They were afraid that the children who read them would veer away from their born beliefs and turn to witchcraft and weave spells against the believes of God.

To this day they still believe it. and they don't dare read any of the books of being fearful of sinning against their churches.

It is true It has been all in the news.
    I for one do not belief in their hype, because there is no where in the books that will offer any such things as casting spells or devil worship.

I have all the books (the last one Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows on order) and I have seen all the movies that have been made so far. and have read them to my eight yr. old daughter and feel they are harmless. They are just fantasy and fun to read. So HATS OFF to J.K. Rowling. Who began as welfare mom with two children trying to get by and keep her children and herself fed. Is now a well deserved millionaire.

I recommend the Harry Potter books to anyone who loves to read!

And to all of those who love Harry Potter as much as I do. Happy reading!!!

Blessings
  2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    :goodpost: Thanx for that info MS SALLY
    It never ceases to amaze me how closed-minded Christian groups are.
    I think it would make Jesus blush with a madness not quite seen or written about in the Holy Bible... Anyway.... Different topic I suppose - So back on topic!

Kudos to MS JK for one of the HUGEST collection of literature ever written!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jul 1, 2007
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    *BUMP* :)

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jul 7, 2007

Sally Roberts Forestdawn

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Harry Potter News:
    Did you hear that Emma Watson (Hermonie Granger) and Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) were going to discontinue to act for all the upcoming Harry Potter movies. But I've receintly heard they have changed their minds, So to all the fans and future fans. Hurray! The trio is still together!

Aste Intellectual Teen

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am so excited a bout the book. I remeber when it first came out because i was just begining to grow out of my old silly chapter books when i can across this and for a while i was very enthused about this(I was somewhere in the 7-10 age range mind you) now i'm only mildly interested, but then again I'm still enthused...

Posted By Aste | Jul 11, 2007
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    hmmmm - I still haven't read any of the books - but super-crazy about the movies though - Perhaps one day I will actually read the books to see how similar the movies are - I've only heard good things about the novels though... ALSO @ ASTE - you missed the Harry Potter contest!?!? It just ended today - so perhaps next contest opportunity - you'll get involved :)

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jul 11, 2007

Aste Intellectual Teen

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yups. :] I'lll make sure to do that. ^^ Contests are always fun and it's nice to get people activly working on something.

Posted By Aste | Jul 11, 2007

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?