Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

?

The Imus Fiasco: Should he be fired for using derogatory comments??

Yes - He Should Be Fired... 5 vote(s) 38.5%
No - He Shouldn't Be Fired... 3 vote(s) 23.1%
He Should Be Suspended Only... 3 vote(s) 23.1%
I Really Haven't Considered... 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Who The F**K Cares? 2 vote(s) 15.4%
  1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

[imga=left]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7563/050204imushmed4psshvc9.jpg[/imga]NEW YORK (AP) -- MSNBC and CBS have decided to suspend Don Imus for two weeks following his reference last week to members of the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

MSNBC first announced it would suspend telecasting Imus' radio program for two weeks, beginning next Monday.

A short time later, CBS announced it will suspend its broadcast of Imus' radio program for two weeks.

MSNBC said Imus' regret at making the inappropriate comment and his stated dedication to changing the show's discourse made it believe this was the appropriate response.

"Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word," the network said.

Imus, who has made a career of cranky insults in the morning, was fighting for his job Monday following the joke that by his own admission went "way too far."

He continued to apologize Monday, both on his show and on a syndicated radio program hosted by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who is among several black leaders demanding his ouster.

[imga=right]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8330/storyimus2apjk1.jpg[/imga]Imus could be in real danger if the outcry causes advertisers to shy away from him, said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio.

"Everyone is on tenterhooks waiting to see whether it grows and whether the protest gets picked up more broadly," Taylor said.

Imus isn't the most popular radio talk show host -- the trade publication Talkers ranks him the 14th most influential -- but his audience is heavy on the political and media elite that advertisers pay a premium to reach. Authors, journalists and politicians are frequent guests -- and targets for insults.

He has urged critics to recognize that his show is a comedy that spreads insults broadly. Imus or his cast have called Colin Powell a "sniffling weasel," New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson a "fat sissy" and referred to Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado, an American Indian, as "the guy from `F Troop."' He and his colleagues also called the New York Knicks a group of "chest-thumping pimps." --- Quoted From CNN

IN THE NEWS
    • CBS fires shock jock Don Imus
      CBS fired Don Imus from his radio program Thursday, the finale to a stunning fall for one of the nation’s most prominent broadcasters.
    AN APOLOGY
    • From Friday's show:
      DON IMUS: "Want to take a moment to apologize for an insensitive and ill-conceived remark we made the other morning regarding the Rutgers women's basketball team.

It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry."

• MSNBC TV released this statement in response to the comments: "While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

-------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------

So..... I'm sure most Americans have heard this story - I assume most of people around the world have heard about this story...

Question: What do you think? The poll question of course is about his IMUS' firing from MSNBC and CBS - Should his comments towards the Rutgers Womens Basketball Team have warrented such action?

Discussion is cool! Keep it clean if you can :)

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Apr 13, 2007

2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Personally - I've used the phrase "nappy-headed hoes" :blush2: And if ever I see someone whom fits the description - I'm sure I'll use it again LOL ---- At anyrate - I actually watched that particular basketball game - As I'm from Tennessee I was naturally cheering for the Tennessee Girls :D

Anyway - I'm sure many of us have used such terminology and words - And that's just it - For me it's just a word terminology - I think it's been blown waaaay out of proportion. Of course I'm from the school of "sticks and stones..."

So.... Discussion if you want :)

Jacquii.

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well......also, Rev. Al Sharpton blew it out of the water by getting very mad at Imus for saying "You people" when referring to his race. The Rev. promised to keep it clean and he didn't and was basically apparently attacking him. Imus apologized dozens of times...and yes, what he said was wrong, but you don't see other people getting as fired up. Nothing against the African race, I have dozens of friends who are African and I ask them what they think about those African-Americans who basically pull out the RACISM card out every time something is said that they do not like. And my friends say that it's stupid.

So, I agree with Ms Jacquii, in that it was blown way too out of proportion. What happened to free speech? I don't think it says "You have free speech" but then in tiny italics, "But only if you aren't racist." And I don't think Imus was even being racist....he's just ignorant. words are words. they did no permanent damage. At least in this case. So everything's been made way too big.
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    :doh: FREE SPEECH! :)

Jacquii.

erikestabrook JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    about Imus I watched the whole story,

he's said things allot worse than that but if its all in joking then what's the big deal,
    I think the main fact is people don't think he's funny,
    seriously if he was Dave Chapelle talking bout white guys peopel would be nodding there heads saying he's keeping it real,

the guy got caught in one idiotic blunder
    seriously do that to every celebrity Mel Gibson perhaps and no one would have a career,
    seriously racisms been dead for years its the fact that no one can laugh at our differences in race that provides a barrier and keeps it alive,

as a white guy I almost fear talking anymore, I don't sya racist things never have but
    if anything can be construed as racist then really how far is this going, its ridiculous to me,
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Nice commentary ERIK - AND to top it off - who's leading the vendetta but the hypocrits named (laughably I think) the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Both of whom have stellar and perfect records of illicit affairs, cheating on their wives and other neat things. Yeah - perfect duo to be calling for accountability :roflmao:

Jacquii.

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Sharpton would raise a fuss over the wrong kinda champange if a white guy gave it to him,
    everyone can agree problems been solved he's fired what else you want to torture him,
    go militant on his ass, seriously they need to listen to Maya Angelou's pecae poem and grow the hell up,

here's an idea get this settled by letting everyone offended kick him in the ass it'll be Imus's world tour

seriously he's not even a racist, let it go already

Jan7 Jan

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely with Jacquii. WAAAYYYY out of proportion!

Posted By Jan7 | Apr 13, 2007
  5. Artistic

Mysty JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I have only one word for men like that ....and it should be considered a swear word though it isn't one. Misogynist!

Posted By Mysty | Apr 18, 2007

FTD4KiNG Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news...
    But I disagree...I think Imus was wrong for what he said...
    He had no cause for saying that...
    A man of his stature could've chosen a slew of other words!
    "But he didn't"

Yeah they're hair may be nappy...They run & gun all day long!
    But the hoes thing is slander...
    He doesn't know each and every one of them personally to say that!

How would you feel if someone said that about you child sitting on the bench?
    I think racsim still exsist and I've had the pleasure of growing up with it!
    In the Military/Cruise Lines/Corporate world...You Name It!!!!
    By the way...
    What do you think F. T. D. stands for?
    (if you wanna know just ask)

Sorry guys...No love lost...
    But that's how I feel!

Sincerely,
    The Black Sheep of this debate!
    Peace & Love!

Posted By FTD4KiNG | Apr 19, 2007

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Well no doubt he was wrong but to what extent is what we're talking about,
    its not like hoes is an uncommon slang word in fact many white people use it daily their hearts get fed by rap music,

Imus should be a better role-model yeah,
    he doesn't have to worry about being a role-model now,

My one point is who sets the example,
    and is how Jesse Jackson and Sharpton are treating this alienating their culture

I feel horrible that you had to grow up with racism,
    but isn't a negative portrail of society being made by the reaction as well,

look at it further Imus lost everything because of his actions,
    no doubt he's gonna get many law-suits to what he has left,

but honestly King wouldn't you rather see your culture being wronged and willing to forgive like Jesus did?

I hope that at least because of this people will be less racist then although not many people I know are,

and it is not a freedom of speech issue because freedom of speech doesn't cover idiocy
    he should've thought of the potential backlash,

actually I think describing them as nappy is more racist than the hoes description you see thats a steroetype, it dates back to early slave days i fyou wetre to ask a slave owner about their slaves hair they would say its nappy
    thats what sparks me as wrong,

anyways King your stance is noted and I think you for showing your calculated opinions rather than just playing the race card indignantly
  6. Cheerful

Sealiah Poetic Dancer

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    On one hand, this was blown way too out of proportion. While it was done in bad taste, and I didn't think it was funny, it was no different than the slew of black comedians who say shit about white people.

For once, I would like to see a black person NOT get insulted by something not directed at them individually. "You people" refers to a generality, and while it can seem insulting, so what? This is America. We can offend anyone we want to. This political correct bullshit has got to go.

You see people all over the place going "Black pride, Gay Pride, Christian Pride..." Etc... but if you see one person say "White Pride" They are immediately classified as racist. It's a double standard, and I'm calling all the people that pitched such a huge fit on it. ESPECIALLY Sharpton and Jackson.

Posted By Sealiah | Apr 19, 2007

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    the fact that this is America, let me ponder that well we pretty much
    treat everyone the same thats what I think most couuntrie sbesides being a nationa power think about America,

and your right its almost as if African_americans are asking for special treatment

I think I've said enough things to piss off a whole slew of people as you just began too Sealiah,

I remain neutral to this subject though,
    because I can understand what african_americans are tripping over
    but I do think they are showing they are going way too far and actually where are they going with this anyway?
  7. Cheerful

Sealiah Poetic Dancer

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Now, I won't go out of my way and say all African Americans ask for special treatment, but there is very much this attitude of 'we got fucked over, and we're making white people pay for it' these days.

I've seen racism up close and personal. It came from my black boyfriend's dad. Anytime Anthony got in trouble, his dad would blame it on 'that damned white girl'. Despite the fact that I never got in serious trouble... (I was never caught, but that's not the point).

I've gotten flack quite often, from black people, because I am a white girl. People assume things based on color, and it pisses me off. so I'm white. That doesn't mean I'll be a fan of Spice Girls, or Brittney, or Christina Aguilera. I was a big rap fan, HUGE on Hard Rock/Metal, and I wore all black because I was too tired in the morning to coordinate colors.

But suddenly, I'm an 'emo white chick'. Call a black girl in a skirt a ghetto ho, and you're suddenly racist. :shrug: I was speaking the truth, but sometimes that is apparently racist.

Never mind I was dating a black guy. Never mind that it doesn't occur to me right away that color has anything to do with... anything. If you need proof, ask my dad. It's given him heart attacks.

Posted By Sealiah | Apr 19, 2007

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I have one question why is the poll about Imus getting fired should h eor not?
    he's already been fired

maybe they should change it to how many riots do you think there's gonna be?
    or what the are people fighting about most people aren't racist too me
  8. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Enjoying the debate folks - Possibly there is healing in this discussion?
    NOW - The rest of YOUS ---- Commentary welcome ;)

Jacquii.
  9. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Had fun reading your comments, Sealiah!!..
    and Erik...racism is not dead, dude...maybe where you live! But I know it works every which way...black on white, white on black, black on asian, asian on black etc. etc. etc. Didn't a Japanese ambassador get sent home in just a few days of being here because he said something about all "those black people filing bankruptcy"?

It's a normal thing (human) that people want to be around their own kind, whether it's cultural or color, and it's a fact that the ones who have no problem mixing with anyone at all, will get criticized from some. It's just NORMAL! Why doesn't everyone admit that, and move on to treat crimes as they should be treated? Not racial crime, or gay crime, or religious crime, etc. I hang out mostly with Belizeans because they are known to me, but that's a cultural thing I guess. It's weird because within Belize there are black, spanish, east indian, asian, arabic, mayan, you name it...and there is a little bit of racism going on, but not like here...when it comes down to it you are just Belizean...and I think America does the same thing when attacked by the rest of the world...come together...but with time on our hands, now, we jump down the throat of anyone who even blinks sideways!

I have no problem with nappy-headed…the hair is what it is…I have issues with the “ho” and not because of color…because it demeans women. Now the hip-hop artists claim they’re not referring to “no college educated” women when they sing about “hos” but like one lady said, no one goes around showing a college ID card – they all still get called hos when they go out, and I’m thinking most likely by black men!…when they go out of the US foreigners think it’s normal to call black women “hos” because it’s all over the music. I don’t know, cause I don’t listen to it. Now I don’t know where these people (referring only to the women who say they’ve been called hos) socialize because I’ve never been called a “ho” and I hope I never will be…cause I don’t know what my reaction will be…probably a huge slap. But my point is, Imus should have had some disciplinary action, but not firing…it wasn’t THAT big of a deal, I didn’t think (besides being very stupid and a huge “Howard Stern type ASS)…but yeah, this is America…where every damn thing is blown way out of proportion, everyone wants their “rights” and no one wants to take the blame for anything. Start censoring music and everything will be censored…why did it even get to the point where they allowed all the crap that’s played on the radio? Too damn late now to try to backtrack. In both Canada and England now, I believe, one can’t even refer to terrorist as “Islamic terrorists” because Muslims find it offensive….so is America soon to follow? You can’t please all of the people all of the time! So stop trying! This sensitivity shit is going way to far!! Now they’re talking about setting up a bathroom in grade school for kids who can’t decide if they are boy or girl – what kinda crap is that? One teacher banned mother’s day cards because there were some kids without a mother!! OK! Nice move! So everyone with a mother had to suffer because of a couple! What happens to the kids with two moms or two dads? Soon no one will be able to do or say anything!! That’s America! Generic America!

fo0k3r New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i selected who the f**k cares cos im not sure what it is about lol sorry

Posted By fo0k3r | May 23, 2007
  10. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    LOL - Hey LYNZ - actually a huge thing in the States - Imus was a talkshowhost - People actually called him a "Shock Jock" --- But anyway... Read the 1st post on this topic HERE to get a better idea what it's all about :D

Jacquii.

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?