Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

There are many benefits to focusing on the positive side of the writing life...
    When life hands you lemons, do you make lemonade or a scrunchy, sour face? As writers, do you let the long hours, the isolation, and the rejection letters get you down?

Or do you embrace every part of being a writer with the power of gratitude?

There are many benefits to focusing on the positive side of the writing life, and they’re not just mental perks. Your attitude can make you a better writer AND improve your career track.

Three Ways To Make The Power Of Gratitude Work For You:

1. Say thank you.
      As a professional writer, you have worked hard to build publication credits. You’ve poured your heart and soul into your writing, and you’re no shirker when it comes to accepting constructive criticism and making revisions.

Your author website is up-to-date and professional, and you carefully market yourself through social media and other venues. You’ve endured months of waiting for editors and literary agents to respond to your queries, and you don’t let rejection get you down.

But have you said thank you?

If you have had the joy of having a poem, short story, or essay appear in a literary journal or magazine, take the time to send a note of thanks to the editor who published your piece. If you’ve published a novel, why not thank the cover designer who made your book “pop,” or the copyeditor who carefully went over every single word of your 350-page novel?

Despite our mothers’ admonitions, most people simply forget the power of expressing thanks to those who help us in our writing journey. But by doing so, people will remember you.

Not only will they remember you as a person, but you will stand out as a professional and considerate author. You’d be surprised how many people forget this simple courtesy and how much it’s appreciated. And who knows, that editor you so thoughtfully remembered may remember YOU the next time you submit a piece.

Even if you haven’t reached the point of having editors or cover designers to thank, there are other people who contribute to your writing journey: a special teacher or librarian. Maybe a particularly insightful member of your critique group who went above and beyond, or a parent who encouraged you every step of the way, no matter what.

It costs nothing to say thanks. And it feels great!

2. Be grateful for rejection.
      A rejection letter is proof that you have put yourself out there as a writer. You have taken that oh-so-difficult step of submitting your work, and you are working toward getting it published.

Rejection letters mean that you believe in your work strongly enough to offer it up for consideration, and you are passionate about your writing. Go you!

Rejection letters offer a great opportunity for writers to learn what editors or agents are looking for, what you should work on, and the direction you might want to take.

If a busy agent took the time to send you a note, then your work merited the courtesy of a reply, however brief. Embrace these gifts of rejection and learn from them. Challenge yourself to do better, and congratulate yourself for walking the walk, not just talking the talk!

3. Be grateful for gratitude—a powerful tool that focuses your attention on what matters most.
      Most people will agree that a positive and grateful attitude enhances the quality of life in general, and writers can benefit from this attitude as well.

You may be feeling the weight of deadlines, rejection, or writer’s block, but if you step back and evaluate why you are a writer, you’ll find the answers are all positive: Because I can’t NOT write. Because I am creative. Because I have things to share. Because I have a unique voice. Because writing makes me fulfilled.

The next time you get bogged down by the negatives, take a moment to write down all the wonderful things about being a writer. What it gives you. How it helps you. The positive outcomes you envision. Allow yourself to be grateful for your gifts.

You will likely be motivated and inspired after reviewing the reasons behind your desire to be a writer, which can also get your muse revved up and ready to go.
    So there you have it. How lucky you are to have a passion and a creative expression!

[ Source: Writers Relief ]

Question For Your Consideration: What part of the writing life are you grateful for?

Attached Files:

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Dec 2, 2012

2. Depressed

butchiesmom JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't have thought of a thank you note for a rejection letter but it makes sense. Such a letter means someone took the time to read your submission instead of just tossing it into the slush pile.

I'm nowhere near that but it's something I will remember. I'll be sure to thank those who take the time to read my work here as well.
    Thanks for posting this, Little Sis.
    Gail
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Digging it

JONATHAN living not existing.

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    Great write and It makes perfect sense ... a Thank you is an underestimated but much appreciated gesture . nice write!
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By JONATHAN | Dec 28, 2012
  4. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Oh yes. Common courtesy is always in style. And like the sentence above says:

Totally agree with this.
    And not only in the literary world should such common courtesy be expressed, but in real life as well. A smile and a thank you goes a long way. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment the article you guys!

J.
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 10, 2013

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?