Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Two Sides Meet

Your ancestors came with Columbus,
    all of mine were here to greet them.
    Your ancestors ways were strange to mine,
    so mine were afraid to meet them.

ghostly people in big canoe
    look down to pray - who they pray to?
    sickly greenish color of skin
    hair on body - on top is thin
    try look in eyes, they so big rude
    shows no respect - their ways are crude!

So ran the comments among the tribes
    and your ancestors did the same.
    Perhaps they tried but failed to see,
    Native ways worked before they came.

shameless, naked, savages all
    not civilized - we hear God's call
    we will tame them, don't let them laze
    we will teach them, they'll change their ways
    no more redskins running around
    any hiding, they will be found!

My ancestors had a government
    in which only women could vote.
    Thus, women had power and respect
    and lessons were learned by rote.

They worshipped the one true creator:
    "He-who-is-not-done-making-me".
    With eyes wide open, raised heavenward.
    Not inside, not on bended knee.

My ancestor's ways were strange to yours
    But different doesn't mean bad
    Somehow things worked out for now we all
    Can be friends and that makes me glad!

Posted By Altree94 | Aug 10, 2006

1. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Dear Tree,
    I loved this write. Very refreshing, and perhaps educational. I definitely can relate being quarter Cherokee. I loved the structure and the spacing, really put emphasis on which of the "two sides", was speaking, and giving each side powerful words. Very creative, and I did enjoy the summation of the ending stanza. The "Two Sides" coming together. Very Nice. Take Care.

Painted Diary aka Kimberly

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank-you for your kind words, Kimberly! I find that when I start writing, I have a hard time knowing where, when and how to stop! There is so much more that could have been said but I felt that this was far too long already.
    Cherokee? Well, our ancestors may have been enemies but I'm sure glad that all that nonsense is over! LOL!
    Thanks again!

Posted By Altree94 | Aug 10, 2006
  2. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Hi TREE - very nice poem - I really enjoyed reading this one! I love works that seek to UNITE and this piece does exactly that - KIM said educational - I see that as well, but more of an inspirational piece that inspires groups to get over their differences and "Two Sides Meet" -----> Sometimes even for the very 1st time.

I think more importantly your work talks of a history that many would seek to deny; Perhaps because they're embarrassed of what their ancestors did?

The two distinct voices in this piece speak so very eloquently - it's like a narrator and translator type of deal - or more accurately, a narrator and a witness... If that even makes sense LOL

I love the laid-back style of the witness though, as if he's retelling the story of what happened in his childhood:

we will tame them
    don't let them laze
    we will teach them
    they'll change their ways

The very last lines really sum up how a better UNITY through spirituality, faith and mutual respect can be accomplished; Letting history be history, without losing site of where we came from is what this piece is about to me...

Somehow things worked out for now we both
    Can be friends, best buds and be glad.

Very enjoyable read - Thanx for sharing it TREE

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 13, 2006

michael JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Tree

This was so powerful I thought.
    And as I have said I'll have do more research on my mother's side of my family as well as my dad's side. My parents had separated when I was about six or seven i guess. The story goes something like my great -great grandmother on my mother's side was an Indian who had dark wavy hair down to her lower back or somewhere down their lol.
    Thanks ......this brought back the memory of more of the history of my family
    I am honored to have Indian as part my family as part of who I am. You have great talent I like the whole center of the page thing.

michael

Posted By michael | Aug 14, 2006

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank-you MsJ and michael! Sorry for taking so long to get back to you! (still learning my way around) (slow learner) (LOL!).

MsJ: Very insightful comments! I do believe that whatever happened in the past should stay in the past - we don't need it in our present and certainly don't want it in our future! This is also true of to-days relationships and one-on-one interactions. Thank-you!

michael - As you delve deeper into your history, I am sure you will find it a very rewarding experience. After all - how can we know if we are going backward or forward if we don't know where we have been? Thanks again for your comments - VERY much appreciated!

Posted By Altree94 | Aug 21, 2006

sagesweetwater Lesbian Novelist

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tree, this is what I call a tough, sturdy snowshoe write..."It is a writer's job to create strong characters and assign them personalities along the way to carry them through the seasons of the poetry/story from the time they are introduced. The art of storytelling through poetry or story lies in different ranges of each writer like the type of snowshoe varies by frame shape and weave, each style of poem/story being suited for that particular writer and snowshoe being suited particularly to the terrain and type of snow." This is a quote from my novel THE BUCKSKIN SKIRT OAR TRAVELER http://www.amazon.com

Two Sides Meet reminds me so much of the trapped Dog Salmon that I have written about in my novel, where a glacier has trapped the dog salmon and the sled dogs will have to be euthanized if the dog salmon are not freed because it is food for the dogs, and how the Yukon people have a very unique existence from a wellspring of diversity, nature and community. A very powerful hint of diversity in your words, Tree. I greatly appreciate this style of poetry and I value the tribal history in which we are richer for it living in today's world, respecting each other's differences...

Sage

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank-you Sage! People's differences should not just be respected, but also treasured! It would be a very boring, stagnant world if everyone was the same. It is the diversity that keeps humanity growing in mind and spirit. Thanks again and BTW - I love snowshoeing!

Posted By Altree94 | Aug 24, 2006

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?