Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Cheerful

Sealiah Poetic Dancer

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0

VA-2007-NCA-0008-0001
    Http://www.regulations.gov

As some of you may know, the VA has denied Wiccan soldiers, for hte past 9 years, the ability to have a pentacle engraved on their tombstone. Despite multiple requests. And in the meantime, 6 other emblems of faith were approved. If that is not bad enough, it took a lawsuit for even the appearance of change to show up.

The above link and Document Number are their 'proposed' change. But in this change, they reserve the right to deny a symbol that is 'frivolous, offensive' etc... However, who is to decide what is offensive or frivolous? Wicca is a recognized religion in the US. The Military recognizes it. They provide space for congregation. They allow it on dogtags, and wills, and deployment information packets.

It is even listed in the Chaplain's handbook!

So why can the VA even have the remote right to deny this symbol? I beg of you guys, go to that site, look up that doc, and put in a comment demanding equality for our troops. The deadline is March 20th, and if the public does not show overwhelming support, the VA will continue its discriminatory ways.

Our soldiers die, for our country. They deserve the honor of having their last wishes fulfilled.

Posted By Sealiah | Mar 8, 2007

2. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Sealiah, if you are a soldier, it is the military that has the final say so over your burial, and not your family? That doesn't seem right.

Nomad

P.S. Are you Wiccan? I've always thought it was an interesting religion, even though I know nothing about it, just bits and pieces that I've read.
  3. Cheerful

Sealiah Poetic Dancer

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm wiccan. And the military doesn't have say over your burial exactly. See, the family can choose to have you buried in a national cemetary, but the rules for it are pretty strict. Most religions have symbols, right? Well the VA approves most symbols.

HOWEVER, for 9 YEARS they have sat on their laurels and and not approved mine.

Posted By Sealiah | Mar 8, 2007
  4. Cool

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Very wierd, why would they care one way or the other? Talk about continuing to control you even into your afterlife! After all, you are dead and gone and your last wishes should be fulfilled...one would think? Wow!

Nomad

Sally Roberts Forestdawn

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Merry Meet:

I totally agree Sealiah, The Wiccan religion has been chastised since King James changed the Bible. He killed everyone who was not of his Christain faith. MOST of them were innocent medicine women. King James branded them as witches and burned them at the stake. It is a fact to this day that NONE of them were evil.
    It was just another way of getting rid of the people who didn't agree with them. And all it took was one person saying WITCH! and they were killed.
    And it is going on today. They may not be burning us at the stake they are killing us in other ways.
    Wicca is and probably will always be put down by the Christains. Don't they know that if Wiccans COULD cast spells on the Christians they would all be gone. What are they afraid of anyway?
    I do not and will not ever put down any religion. As a matter of fact I do have some wonderful Christian friends who accept me for who I am. But It's up to the individual to what he or she may believe in. I just wish they wouldn't judge us for not believing in their God.

These eight words the Rede fullfill An ye harm none, Do what ye will

Blessed be
  5. Cool

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Oh cool, Sally! You are Wiccan as well? I have to say I have always been totally fascinated by it and absolutely love reading about it. I"m curious, does it have anything to do with the ancient Celtic rituals?

Nomad
  6. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    I think mostly Wicca is misunderstood - When someone says "witch" or "warlock" peoples eyes tend to glaze over picturing some kinda little known evil or some ridiculous such. Anyway... About the Armed Services of the US are notoriously known as discriminatory bastards. Didn't even allow Blacks in the service for a very good period of time. The most ridiculous policy American government has ever seen: Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is still in existence as far as I know - And know known homosexual is allowed to serve...

So as far as I'm concerned - It's not too surprising this post about the VA clutching discrimination against Wicca as some type of comfortable blanket.

Just my opinion...

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Mar 12, 2007

~Serenity~ ~Pixie Princess~

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rawrgh... This is so... It's not as though anyone is telling them to convert to Wicca, or to even understand the religion. So why would they be so apalled, so object to one relatively small favour?

Even if I wasn't Wiccan, this would burn me up inside. Whatever happened to common courtesy and the like? Definately got my support... Must go check that out!

Smiles!,
    ~Serenity~

Posted By ~Serenity~ | Mar 17, 2007
  7. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I second the motion. I am not Wiccan......although I am fascinated by it. However, what's wrong is wrong!! Great post Sealiah, and thank you for educating us.

Kim

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?