Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

I personally am a huge fan of Janet Fitch. I could read her novels over and over again - My fave is White Oleander - Paint It Black is another of my favorites. I've read each 6 times. Fitch is the type of author whose work will survive the test of time.

So... What's your favorites? Which book(s) do you like to read and think is so wonderful that you will read it again and again and again?:readnews:

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 1, 2011

2. Cheeky

lasher Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey now,

When I was younger, I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy over and over, and now, although I am an avid reader of fiction, I find the only books I reread are nonfiction.

In creative nonfiction, I love the humor David Sedaris finds in everyday life and for my poetry fix, nothing can top the crisp, clean writing of Mary Oliver - I am in complete awe of her talent.

What a great thread. I've never realized I haven't reread fiction...... But if I was to, the "Odd Thomas" series by Dean Koontz would be enjoyable...... :unsure:

Posted By lasher | Jan 2, 2011
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    :goodpost: Love Dean Koontz! Just finished reading "Relentless" not too long ago.

I'm not familiar with Sedaris - I don't do a lot of non-fiction unless reading online stuff. Well - rarely non-fiction anyway, though I do love Maya Angelou autobiographies or historical non-fiction and the like....

Good post! Will have to check out Sedaris - I love to laugh - so humorous writes are always nice.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 3, 2011
  4. mederith Guest

Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, my favorite author is Margaret Mitchell. She didn't write many novels, but with "Gone with the Wind", she won fame in the world of literature. I've watched the movie for 4 times, and I'm reading the novel for the second time.

Posted By mederith | Jan 8, 2012
  5. Thinking

Minellis'Vertigo Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    This side of paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    I've always liked him as an author. I read this book commuting to and from my first attempt at college and for some reason, of all his books I've read, it is this one that sticks with me.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Digging it

JONATHAN living not existing.

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    I love Jhumpa Lahiri and I would refer this novel { The Namesake } to anyone who would care to read Indian authors writing in english and doing a bloody good job at it, Apart from that Gabriel Garcia Marquez { any of his books } does it for me , its like drugs on paper.
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By JONATHAN | Jan 24, 2013
  7. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Interesting - I think high school English killed F. Scott Fitzgerald for me. I struggled so much with The Great Gatsby that I have yet to read any of his other books. Perhaps one day though... I just wikipedia-ed This Side of Paradise. It looks riveting though. May put it on my next Amazon.com todo list :yes:
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jan 27, 2013
  8. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    And thanks again for recommending Marquez. Somewhere in this house is my copy of Love in Times of Cholera. One day I'll get to it LOL -- I'm not familiar with Lahiri though. Must be quite the author, as he won the Pulitzer in 2000 huh? Nice! I may have to put The Namesake on my next Amazon.com todo list as well!
    • Like Like x 1

9. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    One of my favorite authors is Zora Neale Hurston, a prominent Black author from the Harlem Renaissance era. I'd recommend her novels Their Eyes Were Watching God and Dust Tracks on a Road, which is her autobiography. As a Black person - it's really nice to read the history of Blacks in the US from a Black female's perspective; to literally see how far we as a nation have come. It's artists like Zora Neale Hurston on whose shoulders I stand. Inspiration she is - I actually wrote a poem in tribute to her. See it at I Am Not Tragically Coloured if you like :yes: I actually started work on a video poem version of it. Hopefully will have it completed by December 31, 2013 LOL

10. Digging it

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    Ms J .. Jhumpa Lahiri is a female author and a pretty one at that too .

Posted By JONATHAN | Jan 28, 2013
  11. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Oops - I totally made a typo.. Well - I didn't actually :blush:
    Anyway - thanks for the correction.
  12. Artistic

Mysty JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I can only say my favorite genre is Fantasy but I also love Lincoln/Childs and their Pendergast series.. I also love John Saul, Dean Koontz, Robin Cook, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler and so many I can't recall them all. I do love the Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon too. I have too many favorites to count really...... I have enough books to fill a small library and I never stop buying new books. I LOVE the smell of newly printed novels. I used to bury my face into comics just to smell the richness there. When I read .....I get lost inside the story until it is over. When I lived in Germany for 4 years with my husband when he was in the Canadian Forces... I used to spend over a hundred dollars ever 2 weeks on new books. I could sit down everyday after my baking, cleaning, dishes, and laundry and read 3 to 4 paperbacks a day. I was quite the speed reader then. And I kept all those books. I have 5 bookcases filled with books in one room and 3 bookcases in my bedroom with many books on my floor and here in my computer room I have 2 more bookcases filled to overflowing lol. Do I Love to read or what.
    ps. Ms Jacquii I too love Janet Fitch! Not to mention I loved the book "Catcher in the Rye" ...... mainly I think because my school banned it when I first read it way back when lol. Anyhow I could go on and on about all the authors I love.
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By Mysty | Jan 29, 2013
  13. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Wow! Great post Mysty! I can actually imagine having such a collection of books....back in the day. But I found myself in a precariously "broke" situation some years ago and had to sell my collection to one of those used books places. Between the books and the CDs, I'd gotten $1000+ of much-needed cash. So I kinda envy you your collection.

For those avid readers out there, feel free to make use of JPiC Book JPiC Book Reviews Library. We'd love to see this section filled up with what our members are loving (and/or hating lol) the most.

So yeah. Feel free to go on and on and on about those books that are giving you life!

JONATHAN you should be happy that I've set some time aside today and will be getting all up in Love in Times of Cholera today... As soon as I get off the net that is lol ;)

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk 2
  14. Angelic

stardust JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ms. Jacquii,:wavey:
    I love MARK TWAIN, SHAKESPEARE, and CLASSIC BOOKS.
    I let you know that I'll soon CHANGE MY OLD HOTMAIL EMAIL.
    I want to give you MY NEW EMAIL, Ms. Jacquii.
    I wish to remain in touch with you all...
    Warm Hugs & Poetic Love,
    STARRY.:wavey:

Posted By stardust | Mar 18, 2013
  15. Thinking

Minellis'Vertigo Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    hi everyone
    This thread has mentioned favorite authors and books and I was wondering what draws you all into a book the most? Is it a sense of reliability, complete escapism far removed from your own reality or a more objective technical view? What is it about certain authors that you just can't get enough of? I'm just curious I like hearing peoples opinions!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait for her new novel, The Lowland! September can't come fast enough.
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By Medora | May 13, 2013
  17. Digging it

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    I was not aware she had a novel in pipelines .. now u gone n got me excited and impatient too.. Thanx Medora

Posted By JONATHAN | May 18, 2013

generation.boom New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -2
    I love to read love stories book......
    But there is a difference between me and other lovers because i just read those love story books which has some thrill and action like an interesting love story series "Twilight". It is my favorite.
  18. Artistic

Mysty JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I love reading anything that draws me out of myself, out of my worries, into a world of imagination..... a world of intrigue... a world so vastly different from my own. Where I can feel the excitement of falling in love again, where I can feel fear and the thrill of overcoming that fear. Where I can get to know different peoples ... sure they may not be real people but they are entertaining nonetheless.
    If my favorite authors publish new books then I am sure to check them out ... if I like the jacket synopsis then you can damn well bet I am going to purchase it ASAP. Anyways Minellis Vertigo..... this is my answer to your question. :)
    • Like Like x 2

Posted By Mysty | Jun 1, 2013
  19. Cool

nomadicrhymer JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I love reading... period! Wow when I was in school I loved Shakespeare plays, which was good because I had to read them for school. Then I used to read comic books, Superman, Spider Man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Wonder Woman, etc, etc. I also loved the British author Enid Blyton, and the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series. Hans Christian Anderson and Grimm's Fairy Tales! The Wind in the Willows. I LOVED Louisa May Alcott's Little Woman series.Teen years I moved on to Barbara Cartland's romances, the Godfather series, Pear S. Buck's The Good Earth (which I do reread) The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edgar Allan Poe, Harold Robbin's A Stone for Danny Fisher, Jane Austen's and Emily Bronte's novels, CHARLES DICKENS Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol, Nicholas Nickleby.... wow that brings back memories. For romance I love Nora Roberts, especially when she writes as JD Robb futuristic series...I love Dean Koontz, I used to read Stephen King but am over it. lol. Also The Harry Potter series,, and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien. The Chronicles of Narnia, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman, Robert Ludlum, John Le Carre... on my goodness, I'll just stop there! lol!
    • Love Love x 1

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?