Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

?

What do you like to read?

Poetry 26 vote(s) 96.3%
Romance Fiction 7 vote(s) 25.9%
Urban Fiction 10 vote(s) 37.0%
Plays & Scripts 9 vote(s) 33.3%
Historical Non-Fiction 10 vote(s) 37.0%
Historical Fiction 8 vote(s) 29.6%
Personal Essays 14 vote(s) 51.9%
Western Fiction 3 vote(s) 11.1%
Ethnic Stories 9 vote(s) 33.3%
Science Fiction 9 vote(s) 33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0

So many of us are picky about the literature that we read. (I've been told a couple of times - well many many times actually - that I am a "Poetry-snob")

It's not true! I swear it :blind:LOL

But anyway - What's your favorite genre? Let's talk about it! Choose each option that may apply.

Jacquii.
    ---Doublepost Automerged---
    Well - I'm an avid reader :yes: So I chose all but "Plays & Scripts" Never could get into the Shakespearian vybe, although I love seeing it on the bigscreen... I've come to love reading poetry online. Actually much more than just getting into a good poetry book - I love novels of all kinds & even love reading historical dramas & autobiographies... I read a very interesting biography about John Coltrane not to long ago - I think it was titled A Love Supreme or some such - after his great masterpiece! Never have gotten into remembering the titles though LOL...

My favorite novel of all time is Janet Fitch's White Oleander - It was an Oprah pic, not that I really value her opinion on literature or what-not - But Oleander was absolutely fabulous!

Enough about me - What about you?

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Jul 24, 2006

2. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Let's see ....Ummmmm.... I love Poetry, however, I will buy Classic books of poetry by the greats, for example Langston Hughes, Phyllis Wheatley, Jupiter Hammon, Ms Browning, and etc. Otherwise, I agree with Ms Jacquii, I read read Poetry on the Internet. I love reading Negroe Spirituals as well.

Romance Fiction---I am not a fan of Romance anything, LOL!!!!

Urban Fiction---I will read Urban Fiction, if presented to me, however, I find myself, not seeking it out to read.

Plays & Scripts---LOVE plays & Scripts...I used to write beautiful plays...and am thinking about writing one. Love ya Shakespeare!!! I know, I was in Macbeth, in a past life!! LOL!!!

Historical Non-Fiction---LOVE IT!!! One should never stop inspiring to learn.

Historical Fiction---Not a big fan of this genre.

Personal Essays---Will read, ONLY IF, the subject, or Concept is interesing to me, otherewise, I will not bother!! I REALLY have to be in the mood to read an Essay. I will read how people, children have overcome life's obstacles though. I will read how or what organizations have helped people with mental obstacles, drugs, alcohol, natural disasters, rape, abuse, family counseling, and such.

Western Fiction---Western Who?? Western What?? LOL!!!

Ethnic Stories---Yes, mostly education related. I love to read stories of how diverse youth may struggle, face even danger (even death), to overcome many obstacles for life, and etc...

Science Fiction---It is OK, however, I am a treky, STAR TREK, that is,. One of my Iguanas is named after a STAR TREK character!!! LOL!!!! Gotta love me!!!
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    1. what the fuck happened here :p
    2. Western Fiction---Western Who?? Western What?? LOL!!! ----> You so crazy lol - I was actually picturing Harlequin romance with Fabio on the copy :smilie-fight: tehehehehe BWAHAHAHAHA
    3. Thanx for commenting for the poll
    4. You're a treki???? My favorite show of most-all-time: Star Trek - The Next Generation -----> I just think Picard is like the cutest :delicious: anyway - another different storry :p
    5. I'm a geek

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 4, 2006
  4. Artistic

PaintedDiary JPiC Mentor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Ms Jacquii.....1. What the......you are soo crazy!!! LOL!!!!

Oh, and the Western Fiction...no Fabio for me. LOL!!!!

Great GEEKS think alike......LOL!!!!!!!!!!

and last, but not least, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STAR TREK - THE NXT GENERATION IS THE ONE I WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JEAN-LUC PICARD IS MY HUSBAND!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! ENGAGE MS JACQUII!!!!!! ENGAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Altree94 VIP Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AHA! I see I am in WONDERFUL company here! I too am a TREKKY and though I like romantic poetry - (at times) - you'll never see me with a Harlequinn! I much prefer Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Also love True Crime. Also love the classics, Nicholas Nickleby is my all time favorite!
    Good Poll!

Posted By Altree94 | Aug 17, 2006
  5. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    LOL @ TREE - can you believe I used to actually subscribe to Harlequin Romance?!?!?!? Four stunningly horrid novels every month. Just AWFUL STUFF lol - Anyway great reply and yes - great company - TREKKIES RULE :lol:

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Sep 3, 2006

mangodroplet Blue Mango Puppy :]

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    POETRY!
    :wub:

KayaOtah happy as ever

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love poetry, especially by you guys!!

Romance Fiction is not bad, but it gets boring if too much same ending...
    Urban Fiction... As long as fiction, not so bad anyway..
    Plays & Scripts, if it's made into a play or musical...
    Historical Non-Fiction, I HATE it.. facts always gets me asleep...
    Historical Fiction, I like historical, like ancient china, japan...
    Personal Essays, I will read if it appears interesting, so intro must be catchy enough for me to read on...
    Western Fiction, again it's fiction, I may still read...
    Ethnic Stories, yeah, it's educating, why not, I like reading about people thoughts and comments about things...
    Science Fiction, isit on Werewolves, Vampires, Aliens...etc, if it is I like it too..

Mostly those I like are fantasy, fighting, low-tech, myths and legends...

Posted By KayaOtah | Jul 11, 2007

fo0k3r New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i chose poetry ( of course)
    histrolcal fiction + non fiction
    ethnical stories
    persoanl essays
    romance fiction

Posted By fo0k3r | Aug 20, 2007

~Serenity~ ~Pixie Princess~

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mmmmm.... yummy.. books!

For me... It's always gotta be FICTION. Any kind of fiction. Fantasy and romance (I could read a romance book a million times and still love it) are the top two. Poetry, gotta love it, even when it ISNT fiction. hehe. My books at home are ALL fantasy, though.

JolieH JPiC Contributor

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lately, I've been reading poetry. I tried to straighten out the book mess in my room yesterday. LOL I cleared my desktop. It was stacked with mostly classics: Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Virginia Wolff. I moved the classics across the room and organized poetry books. They include anthologies, instructional, and individual works. I have a novel, “Memoirs of a Geisha,” waiting to be read, but I haven’t got into it yet. I like fictional/ cultural memoir type stories.

What I do like is writer’s books about writing, such as Anne Lamott’s “ Bird by Bird.” and Joan Didion, I started “A year of Magical Thinking,” Steven King “On Writing,” is real good. Those are above my desk along with art instruction, color theory, and biographies and letters of Picasso and Hemingway. I also have books of Gertrude Stein and others in that era.

I have a collection of children’s classics, “Alice in Wonderland,” “Black Beauty,” Wizard of Oz,” “Peter Pan,” to name a few, my daughter’s burrowed several and not returned them. I took a children’s literature course at the university.

I also took a detective writing course, so have classic detective novels, “The Maltese Falcon,” The Big Sleep,” ,”A is for Alibi” are just a few. I learned to enjoy some pulp and noir fiction.

Then there is anthologies from college, English literature, American Literature, and such.

I have a few science fiction, War of the Worlds, Time Machine, A Picture of Dorrian Grey, Dracula, and lots of short stories.

I have many books about writing, rhetoric, literary criticism and commentary, philosophy and such. I like them when I’m reading them in class, but I rarely look at them when it’s my choice.

Then I have a lot of books about painters, Renoir, Monet, Raphael, Picasso, Michelangelo, Frieda Kahlo, to name a few. Plus, painting from the Louvre and some less known artists. I like to look through these from time to time.

There are more, but that’s the bulk of them.

Posted By JolieH | Oct 29, 2007

Beth Castillo New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I chose them all ... except romance ... I od'd on romance back in my teens and twenties and was horribly disalusioned when my husband didn't fit the mould :D (thank God!) ... anyway, one genre not represented in the poll is Fantasy (unless you are lumping it with Science Fiction which is inaccurate)

One of my favorite Authors, Ursula LeGuin, wrote Wizard of Earthsea, which begins a series of 4 novels and a book of short stories (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehanu and Tales from Earthsea) ... oh, and aparently there's another book ... The Other Wind ... I haven't read this one ... must find a copy ...

Also, who can forget the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkein ... the forrunner of modern fantasy ... and I love, love, LOVE The Hobbit and read it multiple times ... and I credit the poems in The Hobbit for sending me down the road of poetry love :)

Also, my first major on college was theater and I got quite adept at reading plays ... in my mind they are not unlike poetry ... there has to be a certain rythmic quality to the lines and actions of the players and a well written play can feed that rythym to the players ... I'm trying to think of an example of what I'm trying to say ... The Glass Menagerie ... a very difficult play to follow if the rythym is off ...

Anyway, for me, if it's written down, I'll read it. :D

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?