Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

CaliBreeze New Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know how many of you have tried to get your work published and then found out the company you are working with is actually fraudulent. There are some literary agencies, publishers, book doctors and editors out there looking for writers just to make money off them and in turn ruining their trust and setting the author back from reaching his/her goal.

I have been one to run into such companies and I would like to take the time and post an article that may help other writers become aware of what scams are out their in the literary world.
    I have been one to run into such companies and I would like to take the time and post an article that may help other writers become aware of what scams are out their in the literary world. I hope this helps. :girltender:

------------------
    ------------------

Writers of every age or profession look forward to the day when they will see their name in print whether it is on a book, short story, poem, article or so on. Many novice writers, after they’re finished writing a project, immediately jump onto the internet and begin the long and grieving task of searching for the right publisher for their work.

What they don’t realize is that a general search on the internet can lead to overwhelming results. There are so many companies out there looking for writers to submit their work. This is not the best way to go about searching as the results you will find on a webpage may be out to scam you. They may appear to be legitimate and sound professional but there is one sure sign to figure out if the company is a fraud. Look at their submission policy. If they charge a fee, the number one thing to do is not to submit to them. No legitimate literary agent or publisher will charge an up front fee to see your work. They make money by commission on the amount of books you sell.

Another point to look out for is companies who will not provide a track record of their clients and amount of books sold. If they fail to do this, they are probably hiding something. Normally, these companies would be happy to provide the writer with these records.

As far as agents go, writers need this information to let them know if the agent is successful in their job. The information given to author also lets them know if the agent has expertise in a given genre. Agents who don’t share this form of advertising are likely to be hiding something.

In the case of a book doctor, however, warning signs are more subtle. You should be suspicious if you are referred by an agent or publisher. A few lines you may hear to scare you into searching out a book doctor are: “Publishers don’t accept manuscripts that haven’t been in the hands of a professional editor first”, or “A manuscript that has been professionally edited, stands a far better chance of landing an agent.” These claims are not true!

A reputable book doctor will have professional credentials such as being an editor for a publishing company, or as a commercially published author. The book doctor should have no quarrel in sharing this relevant information.

In these cases, the next thing you should do is write down the agent’s or publisher’s name and contact information. (You can do the same for editors or book doctors who have scammed you.) You can report a company, or companies anywhere online where you find writers, like at forums, chat rooms, message boards, or websites where they keep track of fraudulent companies.

There are a handful of useful websites available to writers that will keep you updated on the scams aimed at such creative souls. At many of the sites I will list, you can warn other writers about these scams and direct them to these websites. You can also submit a report on the fraudulent companies that you have personally dealt with.

WRITING FORUMS
    You can also find other places to warn writers by doing a search on Yahoo, Google, MSN or other search engines, for writer’s groups. The more writers warned about these scam artists, the stronger defense they will have in facing such companies.

The links below are good sources in finding out if an agency, publishing company, and editors are legit in their claims.
    There are probably other sites out there that could prove helpful to the budding writer trying to find a home for their work. Doing a search for writer beware sites is not a bad idea. Another good idea for authors to do is start a website of their own, journalizing their experience with scam artists in the creative field. Every step taken to warn other writers of the scams lurking around the better defense they will have when they come across such illegitimate literary agencies or publishers.

Attached Files:

Posted By CaliBreeze | Aug 3, 2006

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Hey CALI - very nice article... I'm surprised you didn't list poetry.com and other such companies on your list of UGH!

Some poetry companies even "print" "anthologies" for purchase and such... It's a business scam that relies on the purchase of anthologies to survive. Now this is not such a BAD thing, as there are some of us whom would love to see our works in print any way we can get it.....

Different story entirely - So anyway my question to you is this: My poetry manuscript has been sitting around collecting dust for some odd years now - Is there a publisher of poetry whom you can refer me to?

If interested view excerpts: http://poetjc.home.comcast.net/index_a-obsession.html

Website kinda sux & takes a few seconds to load - but the manuscript is really well put together in such a professional way that it boggles my mind to think it hasn't been published yet -------> A published author friend of mine says that the manuscript is very publishable, it just hasn't found the right editor yet.

Anyway - thanx for the article and the info - Much appreciation, as I for one knows there are many scandals out there!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 4, 2006

CaliBreeze New Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poetry

Jacquii,

I didn't list poetry.com as a seperate fraudulen site because it is listed on www.poetryscams.com. If it wasn't listed there believe me I would have posted it. My friend Heather, and I both had our reservations about the site and I made my decision not to send them any more material after Heather sent in $60 to get the anthology her poem was supposedly published in. I knew definitely that something wasn't right.

If you are looking to publish a book of poetry I would try:
    www.absey.com
    www.barbicanbooks.com
    www.crystaldreamspublishing.com

Those are just a few to start with. If you need anymore help I'd be happy to help you out. Take care and have a great day! :bravo:

~Cali~

Posted By CaliBreeze | Aug 8, 2006
  2. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Hey CALI - I was thinking about that earlier today actually... You know I've been against poetry.com for a while now - Granted, they're only in it for the money, as opposed to being in it for the love of poetry - But some people just WANT to see their work in print... Really poetry.com doesn't make any promises other than printing others' poetry...

I would never by any of their anthologies, as if I want a real book of poetry, I'll go to the neighborhood book store and get 1 for $7 or so...

I wonder though - if most people who do by their anthologies think of it as a scam???

Jacquii.

BTW - thanx for the leads,
    I shall definitely look into those! :)

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 9, 2006

CaliBreeze New Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jacqui,

I think people who visit sites like poetry.com are those who are starting out in their career and are anxious to see their work in print regardless of doing further research into the site to see how legit it was. I admit I was one of those people but I later learned to do in-depth research about any website or company I was thinking of submitting to. I think of the novice writers and that is why I am trying to push the writer beware article with a list of sites. That way more of them can be warned before they are dragged into something they don't know how to get out of.

You're welcome on the links. I hope they help. If not, ring me back and I'll send more sites your way. Good luck! :D

~Cali~

Posted By CaliBreeze | Aug 9, 2006
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Thanx CALI - I was goading you actually, as I understand totally! Your comment about the NEWER writers I think is key here! They say hindsight is 20/20 - I know there are A LOT of things I could have been warned about LOL - But yeah... Definitely for the newer writers starting on the writing path - they need to know and your article is a great piece of advice/knowledge for them...

Lord knows - when I got my 1st "Editor's Choice" award - I was just bragging up something furious LOL -----> I settled back down to earth when the Internation Library of Poets wrote me about their $50 anthology... Just to think... If I'd actually had the money - I'd be a proud owner of whole bunch of rubbish, featuring my original poetry on page 366 LOL

Anyway - thanx for the info again - But Pray tell - are you gonna share us some of your work :blush2: ----> I'd love to see it!

Jacquii.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Aug 9, 2006

CaliBreeze New Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Share some of my work?... uh...yeah! I guess I could do that. Hmmm...what to post? What to post? I think about what poem I'll post and then submit it here. Every time I join a writing forum I am so admit about posting the Writer Beware article I keep forgetting I can post something creative. Well, here goes...

~Cali~

Posted By CaliBreeze | Aug 9, 2006

mbironneau Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm posting this a little late, but I thought of one or two resources that might be useful regarding literary agents.

1. http://www.sfwa.org/beware/agents.html
    If you want pages and pages of tips on finding a good agent, this is one of many great sites to go to. It also has tons of links to other sites to help you research agents.

2. http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do
    This is the website of the AAR, an agency for agents. Any respectable agent (in the US) will be listed here.

Posted By mbironneau | Sep 15, 2006

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?