Welcome to JPiC Forum For Writers! Please log in or sign up to interact with our Community.
  1. Welcome!

Hello Guest | Welcome To Jacquii's Poetry in Color Forum

JPiC Forum for Writers is an online community exclusively dedicated to the share of poetry and writing. As a continuing work-in-progress, our poetry forums host a melange of writing with new additions being posted daily. We encourage you to right now and come join us in our celebration of diversity with the typed word!

Bran Artus Kin New Member

Message Count:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't found this thread and so here goes... what are your -insert number- favorite poems

Mine are:
    1.Ulalume
    2.The Raven
    3.Annabel Lee

1. Lurking

MsJacquiiC Poetica Magnifique

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Nice thread. I have so many favorites it's likely impossible to list them all, but here goes a few for starters...

• Maya Angelou
    • Langston Hughes
    • Emily Dickinson
    • Ntozake Shange
    • Janet Fitch (not a poet persey but has some fabulous poetic concepts in my favorite novel of all time "White Oleander")
    • Jacquii Cooke :p

Posted By MsJacquiiC | May 16, 2011
  2. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It is easy to find people who like "The Raven," which is ironic because, if I correctly remember, Poe's stuff was for the most part snubbed during his lifetime.

There are plenty of poems I like, but one of those least likely to produce a knowing stare by someone is Thomas Bailey Aldrich's "Memory":

Also, big fan of Langston Hughes. I want "Minstrel Man" in print format for framing on my wall.
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By Medora | Oct 1, 2012
  3. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Poe's stuff is so editorial. I don't know about 'snubbed' persey, but obviously under-appreciated in his time. He was obviously an artist put on earth before his time.

And wow. Nice piece. I'm not too terribly familiar with Aldrich's work. But this "Memory" piece is a bit of serenity wrapped up in Mother Nature's arms. Love it and wish I could smell the two petals!!

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 1, 2012
  4. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    And oh yea! Another Hughes fan! Talk about editorial:

There's always something about Hughes writing that instantly takes me back to the place of old Negro spiritual. The light rhythm. The easiness. The determination to be survival of the fittest. The uninhibited hope of living day to day, even when the world you hope will brighten is bogged down in the darkness of your defeat. Thank God for the civil rights movement having taken shape. And Hughes as part of the victory has always been a hero to me.

Gotta love his stuff. Thanks for mentioning Minstrel and welcome to JPiC!

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 1, 2012
  5. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome.

There is a poetry reading coming up at my college and I am thinking of reading. I want to include one poem not by me, and to give background on the poem. Aldrich comes to mind as it is lesser known and affected me notably, but even this lesser known poem is anthologized. Another choice came to me as I was browsing my quotation list (yeah, I have a forum quotation list, too, and I browse it to inspire me): "And She Was Gone." This is a poem from a cartoon, which is not considered a respectable medium by a lot of people; certainly not something to glean literary value from. The poem is from an episode of the same name in the cartoon series As Told By Ginger. The episode dealt with themes such as death. Ginger Foutley, the character who writes the poem, greatly affects her classmates in reading it, and she is even recommended to the school psychiatrist to make sure she is alright. Meanwhile, subplot involving her brother, Carl Foutley, who wants to get rid of his (elderly) teacher and even follows instructions for a potion which is supposed to make that happen. I remember he makes amends with the teacher near the end. However, when he goes to school the next day, he is most distressed to learn that she died overnight. Anyways, here is the poem:

• Like Like x 1

Posted By Medora | Oct 1, 2012
  6. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Oh God, of course! Tom Waits' "Watch Her Disappear." It simply must be read!

Posted By Medora | Oct 2, 2012
  7. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Wow = powerful piece and the cadence so easy.
    I'm not sure I understand though - who wrote it? Definitely a nice piece for poetry reading. It's so very somber toned, may have some folks tearing up in the audience....

And wow - you've got some interesting things to share:

Just :wow:

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 3, 2012
  8. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    At this point I am leaning toward reading the Aldrich poem (have to choose one to go with my two poems for three total), but have a copy of the other two printed and kept in my notebook in case I change my mind.

You mean understand the meaning or who wrote it? Keeping in mind that this poem was written for the character Ginger Foutley in "And She Was Gone," an episode of As Told By Ginger, as mentioned above, I looked up the people who worked on this episode, and found Emily Kapnek as the only listed writer, so most likely it was her: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0438446/

Posted By Medora | Oct 3, 2012
  9. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Yes I mean who's the author of the piece. And Ah - I see. I'm not familiar with the show Told By Ginger though.... Ha - It's a cartoon eh? Okay... It must be a far cry from the obnoxious toons I watch: American Dad, Family Guy, Squidbillies and the like LOL. Anyway - definintely a nice piece.

J.

Posted By MsJacquiiC | Oct 3, 2012
  10. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yes, As Told By Ginger is more like Daria and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Indeed, the episode I mention deals with such themes as death and suicide through the point-of-view of children.
    • FTW FTW x 1

Posted By Medora | Oct 3, 2012

erikestabrook JPiC Premium VIP Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    my favorite poet is still( same as 6 years ago( John Keats) he had grace, style, substance, and a dreamy quality in all his works,
    if he'd have lived to my age I only wonder how mnay of his works would exist for me to read and would've also gained him merit in society, one can cherish what they love, but that doesn't mean what they love will always be cherished, in his case he was loved well after his death and accepted by people latter on who had mocked and insulted him
  11. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    For the poetry reading I settled on reading the version of American folk singer-songwriter Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" with the two stanzas often left out:

I like this choice because it is lyrics, and since it speaks to the author's sense of social justice. This latter point strikes me because the first poem I ever wrote was inspired by ancient Chinese poet Du Fu, who also infused his poetry with commentary on social justice.

Also, I shared "Order Prevails At Ludlow" here, and I will also share my two other poems -- both read at the reading -- eventually.
    • Like Like x 1

Posted By Medora | Oct 13, 2012
  12. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Isn't it interesting how some find the respect and admiration they'd so wanted during life, after their life!? But yeah - Keats is one of my favorites too. I've been meaning to post a few videos of his and have gotten a good start on the John Keats playlist. Check it out ;)

J.
  13. Lurking

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +134 / 1 / -0
    Awesome lyrics too! Evokes American Patriotism everytime!
    Can't wait to see your other works.

And speaking on social justice. This is yet another reason why I'm simply enamored of Langston Hughes. He was really a revolutionary in his time, when it was nearly impossible for Black folk to be/do anything except bend to the will of injustice. My poetic Hero would hear none of that! He embraced & championed these topics and gave voice to the plight of inequality.

I've added some more videos to the Langston Hughes playlist, one of which is quite direct in its rebuke of the bigotry that was going on in his time. It's interesting to note how far we as a society have come. Yet again, it's quite intimidating to think how far we've got to go....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Surrender

Medora Member

Message Count:
    Home page:
    Books:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You just had to go and make me think again of Langston Hughes. And I remembered his "The Weary Blues," which first blessed my ears in creative writing class (heard Mr. Hughes recite this one, too):

Just reading that makes me think of James Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues."

You also made me think of "Incident," a poem by Countee Cullen:

Posted By Medora | Oct 16, 2012

We hope you're enjoying our forum!

Only registered Members have access to posting priviledges. Registration here is 100% FREE. Use the button below to begin registration or the form on the right to login to your account.

Forgot your password?